Frequently Asked Questions
- What's an eBay Store?
An eBay Store is a comprehensive ecommerce solution that helps you get more out of the eBay marketplace and the millions of buyers worldwide who shop on eBay. You get exclusive marketing and merchandising tools, plus great customization features to build a strong brand that keeps customers coming back. By showcasing all of your merchandise in one location, an eBay Store creates a central shopping destination where buyers can learn more about you, your products, and your policies.
In addition, an eBay Store subscription package provides eBay sellers with a range of options for easy selling and maximum profitability. List in Fixed Price with full search exposure for as low as 3¢ and in Auction-style with discounted Final Value Fees.
A red "Stores" tag next to a seller's user ID indicates that the seller has an eBay Store.
- Why open an eBay Store?
With eBay Stores, sellers can choose the subscription package that's most profitable for the way they sell. The vast majority of higher-volume sellers who sell more than 50 items per month can get significant savings with dramatically reduced upfront costs compared to eBay standard fees. Plus, get powerful tools to help build, manage, promote, and track your eBay presence for greater selling success.
- Who can open an eBay store?
- What if I have a Premium or Anchor Store but fall below the performance requirements?
Premium and Anchor Store subscribers who don't meet the performance eligibility requirements will receive an email notification letting them know they have 60 days from the time of the notice to improve before their subscription will be downgraded to Basic. If you are downgraded due to performance standards and your standing improves and you once again meet the performance requirement, you will be able to upgrade to a Premium or Anchor Store under Manage My Store in the Account tab in My eBay.
- Is eBay Store right for me?
In evaluating the benefits of an eBay Store, you should consider your listing volume and most frequently used listing format. If you're an existing eBay seller, enter your selling activity into the Fee Illustrator to determine which eBay Stores subscription may best fit your needs. For many sellers, an eBay Store subscription can reduce overall fees significantly. eBay Stores is also one of the best ways to establish your brand with a custom Store home page and custom header and logo that appear in your listings.
- How do I open an eBay Store and what do I do first?
If you meet the requirements to open an eBay Store, sign in to My eBay. Click "Subscriptions" under the Account tab. Click "Subscribe" next to eBay Stores. After you subscribe, choose "Subscriptions" and then click Manage My Store on the left. Choose "Design My Store" or "Quick Store Tuneup" to begin. You can also access through your Account Settings in eBay Seller Hub.
- How do I list items in my eBay Store?
All items currently listed on eBay will automatically show up in your eBay Store. To list new items, click the "Sell" button at the top of any eBay page. You'll go through a step-by-step process that makes it easy to list your item and find appropriate categories for your item. If you would like to list in bulk, you can use advanced seller tools like Selling Manager or your favorite listing tool.
- If I subscribe to an eBay Store, does that mean I’m officially a business?
Subscribing to an eBay Store does not automatically classify your account as a business account. Find out how to register as a business on eBay.
About the Subscription
- How do I upgrade my eBay Store?
To upgrade your eBay Store, go to My eBay and click on Account, then Subscriptions. From the Subscriptions page, click "Change level" to upgrade your eBay Store. You can also review our video tutorial for more information.
- How do I re-open my eBay Store?
Per our eBay Store policy, information will be retained for 30 days after your subscription is cancelled. To open an eBay Store, you'll need to go through the process of opening a new eBay Store. To open an eBay Store, go to My eBay and click on the Accounts tab and then Subscription tab. Once you're on the Subscriptions tab, click Subscribe for one of the eBay Store levels.
- What level Store should I open?
The Store level you open will depend on your listing frequency and which formats you use. Each Store level has its own subscription-based listing fees. To maximize your exposure and minimize your costs, use the Fee Illustrator to find the subscription level that's best for you.
Learn more about eBay Stores subscription levels and fees.
- How and when am I charged for my eBay Stores subscription?
Eligible sellers may subscribe to an eBay Store at any time during the year. The subscription fee will appear on your monthly invoice.
The first month of your subscription is prorated based on your sign up date. For example, if you sign up on April 27th and you're billed on the 1st of every month, you will be charged for the remaining 4 days in April (27, 28, 29, and 30) plus the month of May on May 1st.
Should you decide to cancel your subscription, you may do so at any time. You will have the full benefit of your subscription through the last day of the month you've cancelled in. For example, if you cancel your subscription on May 26th, you will have the full benefits of the subscription through May 31st, as you have already paid through to the end of the month. Your subscription will then be cancelled and you will not be billed on June 1st.
- Can I use HTML to design my Store home page?
Yes. Store sellers can create a custom header with HTML just below the standard eBay Store header. In addition, Store sellers can build a completely customized Store home page using HTML. To take advantage of these customization opportunities, go to the Manage My Store page and click on "Store Design" in the left column. Sellers can also easily create links to their Store by using HTML Builder, located in the left column in Manage My Store.
- How can I make changes to my Store?
You can change your logo, Store name, categories, and more at any time by going to Manage My Store located in the left navigation column of My eBay.
- How can I change my Display Settings/Sort Order?
- Log in to My eBay and under the Account tab, click on Manage My Store
- Click on Display Settings under Store Design in the left navigation
- Under Theme and Display, click on Change" next to Item Display Settings
- Scroll down to Sort Order and choose your preference from the drop down menu.
- Click Save Settings.
Promoting Your Store
- How does eBay help me promote my Store to millions of buyers?
Your eBay Store is promoted to millions of buyers on eBay in several ways:
- All of your item pages contain an eBay Stores icon next to your user ID that links buyers to your eBay Store.
- The eBay Store Directory drives buyers to your Store.
- Your eBay Store comes with your own personalized web address so you can drive buyers directly to your Store.
- What’s the best way to get people to my Store?
Sellers have a variety of methods to drive traffic to their Store, including links to specific listings, links to their customized Store, and links to a customized Store category landing page. Learn strategies for how to drive traffic to your Store
- What is the Listing Frame?
The Listing Frame allows sellers to pull elements such as their Store category list or Store Search box into all of their item description pages with only a few clicks. There are three key elements (see image below):
- Store Name
- Listing Header
- Category Navigation Bar
- Why should I use the Listing Frame?
One of the most successful marketing strategies for Store sellers is to market their Stores within their listing descriptions. The Listing Frame makes it quick and easy for you to employ this powerful strategy in a professional and effective way. The Listing Frame also helps you merchandise the breadth of items you carry and reinforces your Store's branding.
- How do I turn on and customize the parts of the Listing Frame I want to display on all of my item descriptions?
From Manage My Store, click "Listing Frame**" You'll be taken to a page where you can easily make changes.
- Can I turn the Listing Frame on for only some of my listings?
No, the Listing Frame setting automatically applies to all or none of your listings.
- Will the Listing Frame have any impact on my existing listing description template?
If you choose to add the category navigation bar that appears on the left side, your item description will be compressed slightly into the remaining screen width when displayed. We encourage sellers to take this into account when designing their item description template. The exact size of the category navigation bar of the Listing Frame is 170 pixels.
- What elements can I customize on the Listing Header section of the Listing Frame?
- Store Logo Display
- Search Box
- Other Store Page Links
- Newsletter Sign-up
- Add to Favorite Stores
- How many categories can I create?
You can create up to 300 Store categories. Your Store category total includes the sum of all level 1, level 2, and level 3 categories. For example, you could have 300 level 1 categories or 30 level 1 categories with 10 subcategories each. Please note: eBay automatically creates a default level 1 category named "Other Items" that can't be edited and does count toward the 300 category limit.
- How many Store categories should I use?
Just because there are 300 categories available doesn't mean you need to use all of them. We provide 300 for the most extreme cases but expect most sellers will only need 20—40 categories. Go to the Store categories page in Manage My Store for suggestions on how to set up your Store category structure.
- Where can I find more information about Store categories?
Promoted Listings Overview
- What is promoted listings?
Promoted listings is an advertising service exclusive to items bought and sold on eBay. With promoted listings, you put your best merchandise—new listings, best sellers, and seasonal must-haves—in front of more buyers when they’re actively searching and shopping on eBay, increasing item visibility and the likelihood of a sale.
- Who can use promoted listings?
Promoted listings is currently available to all active eBay Stores subscribers in the US, UK, Germany, and Australia. At this time, the service is only available in the following categories:
Category Sub Category Sub Category Parts & Accessories ATV Parts Decals, Emblems Parts & Accessories Apparel & Merchandise All Parts & Accessories Aviation Parts & Accessories All Parts & Accessories Boat Parts Accessories & Gear Parts & Accessories Boat Parts Anchoring, Docking Parts & Accessories Boat Parts Body Parts Parts & Accessories Boat Parts Controls & Steering Parts & Accessories Boat Parts Deck & Cabin Hardware Parts & Accessories Boat Parts Electrical & Lighting Parts & Accessories Boat Parts Electronics & Navigation Parts & Accessories Boat Parts Interior, Cabin & Galley Parts & Accessories Boat Parts Jet Drives Parts & Accessories Boat Parts Marine Rope Parts & Accessories Boat Parts Memorabilia Parts & Accessories Boat Parts Plumbing & Ventilation Parts & Accessories Boat Parts Propellers Parts & Accessories Boat Parts Sailing Hardware & Gear Parts & Accessories Boat Parts Service Tools Parts & Accessories Boat Parts Trailer Parts Parts & Accessories Boat Parts Other Parts & Accessories Car Electronics All Parts & Accessories Car & Truck Parts Accessories Parts & Accessories Car & Truck Parts Decals/Emblems/License Frames Parts & Accessories Car & Truck Parts Electric Vehicle Parts Parts & Accessories Car & Truck Parts Wheels, Tires & Parts Parts & Accessories Manuals & Literature All Parts & Accessories Motorcycle Parts Decals, Emblems Parts & Accessories Performance & Racing Parts All Parts & Accessories RV, Trailer & Camper Parts All Parts & Accessories Salvage Parts Cars All Parts & Accessories Services & Installation All Parts & Accessories Snowmobile Parts Decals & Stickers Parts & Accessories Vintage Car & Truck Parts Accessories Parts & Accessories Vintage Car & Truck Parts Decals, Emblems, Detailing Parts & Accessories Vintage Car & Truck Parts Wheels, Tires, & Hub Caps Parts & Accessories Wholesale Lots All Parts & Accessories Other Vehicle Parts All Parts & Accessories Other All Automotive Tools & Supplies All All Antiques All All Baby All All Cell Phones & Accessories All All Cameras & Photo All All Clothing All All Coins & Paper All All Collectibles All All Consumer Electronics All All Computers/Tablet & Networking All All Crafts All All Dolls & Bears All All Health & Beauty (excludes Sexual Wellness) All All Home & Garden All All Jewelry & Watches All All Musical Instruments & Gear All All Pet Supplies All All Pottery & Glass All All Shoes & Accessories All All Sporting Goods All All Sports Memorabilia All All Cards & Fan Shop All All Stamps All All Travel All All Video Games & Consoles All All Music All All Books All All DVDs & Movies All All Entertainment Memorabilia All All Business & Industrial Office All Business & Industrial Retail & Services All
- Which listings are eligible? How many listings can I promote?
You can only promote multi-quantity fixed price listings in selected categories that are displayed in the promoted listings service. Each campaign can have up to 500 listings included.
To provide the best possible buyer and seller experience for this new service, at this time, we are not offering this service in all categories or for single-quantity or auction listings. You may only promote items in the categories that are displayed in the promoted listings service, which may only be a subset of all of your eBay listings. When creating a promoted listings campaign, only listings which qualify for the service will appear in your selection view.
- How much does promoted listings cost?
When you launch a promoted listings campaign, you set an ad rate for each item—that is, the percentage of an item's sale price you're willing to pay to promote it. When we charge your ad fee, we first look at the time of sale, then look 30 days back for the click that led to the sale. We charge the fee based on the ad rate that was in place at the time the ad was first displayed. For example, if you select an ad rate of 3% for one of your items, the ad fee is 3% of the final item sale price (excluding shipping and sales tax, unless the item has free shipping incorporated into the item price). You are not charged for a sale that does not come through the promoted listing ad.
The ad fee is in addition to other listing and selling fees that you pay on eBay. All ad fees appear on your eBay monthly invoice. You can continue to pay your invoice using your preferred automatic payment method. If you accept a Best Offer price for your item, we charge the ad fee based on the Best Offer price. Don't forget to take advantage of the $25 promoted listings credit — available only for Anchor Store subscribers.
- Why should I use promoted listings when I’m already optimizing for Best Match?
Optimizing your listings for Best Match remains an important best practice. Promoted listings gives you the opportunity to boost your visibility and sales potential by making your listings eligible to show up in more places on eBay. Your Best Match ranking does not affect whether your promoted ads appear.
- I'm an Anchor Store subscriber, where can I find my quarterly promoted listings credit?
If you used part or all of your quarterly promoted listings credit, the credit will appear on your eBay invoice.
- I use a third party listing tool. Can I still use promoted listings?
Promoted listings is available through ChannelAdvisor’s third party listing tool. To use promoted listings via ChannelAdvisor platform follow these steps to get started:
- I have a question, comment or feedback?
Use the Give us feedback link on the campaign management dashboard to let us know what you are thinking.
Promoted Listings Ads
- Why do you label ads as “sponsored” for buyers?
We label ads “sponsored” to show buyers that a seller has opted to use a paid service to showcase his or her items in prominent locations on eBay. It’s about being transparent while providing the most relevant buying experience.
- What does an ad look like?
A promoted listings ad contains information from your listing, including your primary photo, listing title, price, and format. Any changes you make to your listing automatically appear in your ad as well. Sample ad:
- Where do my ads appear?
Your promoted listings ads may appear on various prominent placements across eBay throughout buyer’s shopping journey, including on the search results page and view item pages of the eBay site where you are registered (US, UK, Germany, or Australia) and are limited to that site alone.
Your ads may appear:
On both desktop and mobile search results
On premium placements within search results
On premium placements on view item page
- Can my ads appear if my listing already appears in search results?
Your promoted listings ad may still appear if the listing appears within a buyer’s search results.
- Can the same ad appear in more than 1 placement on the same page?
Yes, an individual ad may appear in more than 1 placement on a page.
- Do promoted listings appear internationally?
Your promoted listings ads may appear on the search results page of the eBay site where you registered (US, UK, Germany, or Australia) and are limited to that site alone. Ads don't appear on additional sites or through cross-border trade, international site visibility, or Global Shipping Program participation.
- Are promoted listings multi-screen?
Yes, promoted listing ads appear on desktop computers, tablets, and smartphones.
- Does Best Match factor into which ads appear?
Your Best Match ranking does not affect whether or not your ads appear.
- I use my eBay Stores to offer promotions. Can promoted listings ads be combined with my offers, and will the ad update automatically to reflect the new price?
The pricing of the item reflected in the ad matches the price in the listing. If you use Markdown Manager to offer a discounted price, that price change will appear in your promoted listings ad. Offers created via your promotions manager tool—like offering a 10% sale for items in your eBay Store, for example—will not appear in your promoted listing ads.
- What does it mean to "launch a campaign"?
Launching a promoted listings campaign is quick and easy. Just follow these steps:
- Select the multi-quantity listings available to promote.
- Set your ad rate (the percentage of the final sale price you are willing to pay to promote your ad which can be from 1% to 20% of the item's final sale price for each item).
- Review and launch your campaign. You can monitor its performance using your promoted listings dashboard.
We also provide the option to upload listings in bulk if you have a large quantity of data. Follow these steps:
- Prepare a .csv file with the ItemIDs that you wish to promote and the ad rates for each item.
- Upload the file.
- Review and launch your campaign.
Please note: You can add up to 25,000 listings in one file. Large files may take up to an hour to upload.
- The file needs to be in .csv format. We do not accept .xls format at this point.
- You can add up to 25,000 ItemIDs in one file. ItemIDs need to be in number format with no decimal points.
- Ad rates can be provided in 0.1% increments. However do not use the "%" sign at the end.
- How do I create a promoted listings ad?
When you launch a campaign, your ads are automatically created from your listing information, including your primary photo, listing title, price, and format. If you edit any of this information in your listing, it’s automatically reflected in your ad.
- How do I know what ad rate to set?
To increase the chance that your promoted listing will be displayed, set a competitive ad rate. Recommended ad rates are displayed on the “select ad rate” page, and allows sellers to adopt recommendations easily:
- Campaign level control of the ad rate %
- Sellers have the ability to apply or change the ad rates, they wish to choose for themselves, to all items in the campaign.
- In addition, sellers have the ability to apply or change the recommended ad rate to all the items in the campaign by clicking “Apply market rates”.
- Item level ad rate %
- Sellers have the ability to apply or change the ad rates, they wish to choose for themselves, to individual items in the campaign.
- In addition, sellers have the ability to apply or change the recommended ad rates to individual items in the campaign by clicking on the green dot on the lever next to the individual items.
- Campaign level control of the ad rate %
- If a seller sets the highest ad rate on an item, does the seller’s ad always appear?
In addition to looking at a seller’s set ad rate, other factors are also considered, such as relevancy and how well an item is selling at the time the ad rate is set. Promoted listings from sellers with different ad rates may appear in different page locations. You can see current ad rate averages to help you determine the rate you want to set.
- After I launch a campaign, do my future listings automatically appear as ads in that campaign?
Only Good Til Cancelled listings remain in an active campaign when these listings are renewed. All other listings need to be manually added to your campaigns, even relisted items that previously were added to a campaign.
- Can I promote listings that have been marked down or discounted?
All eligible listings are displayed when you sign in to promoted listings. You can select any eligible listing.
- How do I edit or change a promoted listings campaign?
- You can edit a campaign name, the campaign dates, the listings that you want to promote, and the ad rate at any time. Edits to active campaigns generally take effect the same day. Edits to non-active campaigns take effect when you resume the campaign.
- On your promoted listings dashboard, click 'Manage' next to the campaign you want to edit and chose 'edit campaign'.
- If you wish to bulk edit your existing campaigns:
- Simply upload a file with the desired changes, or
- Download the 'Edit campaign file' by clicking 'Manage' next to the campaign you want to edit, modify the file and re-upload it.
Please note: large file may take up to an hour for the changes to be reflected.
- Can I manage the promoted listings in my campaign in bulk?
Yes you can using a .csv file. Follow these steps:
- Prepare a .csv file with the itemIDs that you wish to promote and the ad rates for each item.
- Upload the file.
- Review and launch your campaign.
Please note: you can add up to 25,000 listings in one file. Large files may take up to an hour to upload.
- The file needs to be in .csv format. We do not accept .xls format at this point.
- You can add up to 25,000 ItemIDs in one file. ItemIDs need to be in number format with no decimal points.
- Ad rates can be provided in 0.1% increments. However do not use the '%' sign at the end.
- Can I edit my promoted listings ad?
A promoted listings ad pulls information—your primary photo, listing title, price, and format—automatically from your listing. If you wish to change the content in your promoted listings ad, you can only do so by editing your listing itself.
- Can I stop a campaign?
You can stop or start a promoted listings campaign at any time. Stopping a campaign generally takes effect the same day. Keep in mind, however, that any sales generated after you stop the campaign from buyers who clicked your ads before you stopped the campaign are charged the promoted listing fee. Dashboard information from stopped campaigns continues to be available.
- Can I delete campaigns?
You can delete any ended campaigns at any time. Simply click on 'Manage' next to the campaign you want to delete and hit 'delete'. Please note: data cannot be retrieved for any campaigns that have been deleted.
- Can I sort the fields on the campaign dashboard?
You can sort any of the fields available on your campaign dashboard (Name, Status, Start date, End date, Listings, Sold, Ad fees and, Sales) in ascending or descending order.
- What happens when my listings change?
Promoted listings ads automatically take into account any changes that you make to your listings, including price, title, primary photo, and description changes. You only need to edit your campaign each time you have new listings that you want to add.
- My listing has sold or has ended. Do you stop displaying ads automatically?
We don't display promoted listings ads for listings that aren't active — whether the listings have sold, expired, or you've ended them. If your listing has ended and you’ve manually relisted it, we don't automatically add the listing back into your campaign. Once you've restarted your listing, you need to edit your campaign and add the listing manually. Good 'Til Cancelled listings stay in active campaigns until you remove the listing from the campaign.
- How does Promoted Listings work with Promotions Manager?
Promoted listings will help you drive traffic to your listings through the promoted ad placement. Promotions Manager will help you convert buyers once they land on your listings by enabling you to create compelling offers to increase order size.
Reporting and Billing
- How do I know if promoted listings is working for me?
Your promoted listings dashboard contains detailed reports on how your ads are performing. Specific metrics include:
- Impressions: The number of times your ads appeared
- Clicks: The number of times potential buyers clicked your ads
- Sold: The number of items sold through promoted listings ads
- Ad fees: The fee based on the ad rate set for your items at the time the buyer sees the ad
- Sales: Number of items purchased within 30 days of a click on your ad
- Can I see how my campaigns are positively affecting my sales?
Your promoted listings dashboard contains information on the sales related to your ads. Sales are from buyers who clicked your ad and purchased the item within 30 days. The number of items and the amount resulting from those sales is displayed.
- If a buyer finds my listing via search results-not a promoted listings ad-do I pay an ad fee?
You only pay an ad fee when an item sells within 30 days of a click on your ad in one of the designated placements reserved for promoted listings.
- Is my ad fee credited back to me if the buyer doesn’t pay or returns the item purchased through promoted listings?
If a buyer returns an item or doesn’t pay for an item, you’re eligible for an ad fee credit.
- Does my monthly invoice from eBay show ad fees?
Both your ad fees and ad rates appear on your eBay invoice. Ad fees will appear as a separate line on your eBay invoice and in detail where fees will be categorized by item. If eBay credited any ad fees back to you, you'll see this information on the invoice as well. You can also get up-to-date sales and ad fee details in your dashboard.
- What ad rate am I charged if a buyer clicks multiple times on my ad at different times?
We charge the ad rate that was active for the first click we can attribute to this buyer within the 30 day window.
- What is Email Marketing
Email Marketing is a tool for eBay Stores sellers that enables them to send email to interested buyers who have signed up for their mailing lists.
- Who can I send an email to?
You can email anyone who has subscribed to your mailing lists. Users subscribe to sellers' mailing lists in the "Add to Favorite Sellers and Stores" process, through which they can select one or more mailing lists to subscribe to for each seller.
- How do I send an email to my subscribers?
Using the Email Marketing tool, you can easily create and send template-based or fully customized HTML emails to your subscribers. You can send one email per week for each of your mailing lists, and there is no limit to the number of subscribers on an email list.
- Where can I find more information about Email Marketing?
- What is Markdown Manager?
Markdown Manager is a free feature exclusively for eBay Stores sellers that enables them to discount the price of their items or add a limited-time free shipping sale.
- How do I access Markdown Manager?
Markdown Manager is available for all eBay Stores subscribers under My eBay > Account Tab > Marketing Tools > Item Promotion > Markdown Manager on the left navigation bar.
- Is there a charge to use Markdown Manager?
No. Markdown Manager is free for all eBay Stores subscribers.
- What listings are available in Markdown Manager?
You can use Markdown Manager to discount all Fixed Price listings or provide a limited-time free shipping sale on all listing formats.
- Where can buyers see my discounted listings?
Buyers will see a special strike-through price and Sale logo in the following places:
- Item Page (plus a Free Shipping logo, if offered)
- Cross-Promotions on the bottom of the View Item Page
- Seller Email Marketing (plus a Free Shipping logo, if offered)
- eBay Stores Promotion Boxes
Buyers will see special strike-through pricing in the following places:
- Search results
- In-Store Search results (this is the Search within a particular Store)
- Items I'm Watching (if the item has gone on sale after it was added to the buyer's watch list)
- Items I'm Watching Ending Soon Email
- In all other areas, the Sale price will be displayed as the Buy It Now price (including in the main eBay search results).
- Where can I find out more information about Markdown Manager?
Find more information by clicking here
- How do I close my Store?
You can close your eBay Store at any time by signing in to My eBay and clicking the "Subscriptions" link under the Account tab. You'll be taken to a page where you can cancel your subscription.
- What happens to my listings when I close my Store?
Sellers can choose to end their active Fixed Price listings or keep them, subject to standard fees
- How does the Selling Manager Pro credit work for Premium and Anchor Stores?
Premium and Anchor Stores subscribers won't be charged for Selling Manager Pro as long as they maintain their Premium or Anchor Store subscription. To qualify for this offer, you must subscribe to Selling Manager Pro on the same eBay country site where you opened your eBay Store. Existing Selling Manager Pro subscribers will begin receiving their free Selling Manager Pro subscription on their invoice after they subscribe to a Premium or Anchor Store.