Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I print labels for USPS, UPS, and FedEx using eBay labels?
You can print both USPS and FedEx labels on eBay. Tracking information is automatically uploaded to My eBay.
If you ship using UPS, you can use PayPal's Label printing solution. Tracking information is automatically uploaded to My eBay.
- What shipping services are available with eBay labels?
The following USPS options are available:
- Domestic services to street or PO Box addresses: Priority Mail®, Express Mail®, First Class Package Service®, Media Mail®, and Parcel Select®
- International services: Priority Mail Express International® and Priority Mail International®, First-Class Package International Service™ (FCPIS) , and First Class Mail International®.
The following FedEx services are available:
- FedEx Ground®, FedEx Express®, FedEx SmartPost®, and FedEx® International shipments.
- Can I purchase First Class Package International Service from eBay labels?
Yes, First Class Package International Service™ is available via the eBay selling flows, the shipping calculator, and can be purchased via eBay Labels. This service is similar to First-Class Mail International® packages, but with the added benefit of including E-USPS DELCON INTL™. To see the full list of 26 countries currently served by the Electronic USPS Delivery Conformation® International program, please visit our Help page.
- Does paying postage and printing shipping labels on eBay save me time?
Yes. With eBay labels, you can:
- Create postage-paid shipping labels in just minutes for your USPS or FedEx packages.
- Pay for shipping and, for USPS shipments, optional insurance or loss/damage protection (terms, restrictions, and exclusions apply) with your PayPal account, with no monthly fees or surcharges.
- Create and print a pre-filled packing slip, detailing what you are shipping to your buyer.
- Ship internationally with USPS online customs forms.
- Track and confirm the arrival of your FedEx and USPS shipments with Delivery Confirmation and shipment tracking.
- Does paying postage and printing shipping labels on eBay save me money?
Yes. When you print shipping labels on eBay, you save on shipping costs:
- All eBay sellers who use eBay labels to pay for USPS postage and print shipping labels automatically get USPS®Commercial Base™ pricing along with the convenience of automated tracking and delivery notification. Special Savings for eBay Top-rated sellers and sellers with an average of 300+ transactions per month. Qualified sellers automatically receive Commercial Plus™ pricing on USPS Priority Mail, and also special discounted rates on USPS Priority Mail Express and USPS International products . This is a savings of up to 32% on USPS® postage when you use eBay labels. See full USPS Savings details here.
- When you print FedEx labels through eBay, you automatically get eBay's special volume discount rates for up to 37% savings on select services—no need to sign up.
- If you ship with UPS and print your labels on PayPal, sign up for the UPS Special Pricing Program for eBay sellers—eligible sellers can save up to 32% off UPS Standard List Rates for Air shipments, up to 25% off International shipments, and up to 23% off UPS Ground shipments. Click here to see how much you can save.
- Can I print labels in bulk on eBay?
Yes, you can use eBay labels to print up to 50 labels at a time with USPS. At this time, you may print one label at a time for FedEx shipments.
- How do I select which printer I'd like to use to print my shipping labels, individually and in bulk?
To select the type of printer you'd like to use when printing an individual label, simply select it from the drop-down menu in the process of printing the label
For printing labels in bulk, you can choose how your shipping labels will print by selecting your printing preferences beforehand. Just click 'Label preferences' from your My eBay Selling page. From here, you can quickly choose the type of printer you'd like to use from the 'Printing' drop-down menu.
- My label didn’t print properly. Can I print it over again without paying?
Yes. If your label did not print correctly, you can reprint it at no charge. From the Finish printing your label page:
- Look under 'What would you like to do next?' on the right hand side of the page.
- Click 'Reprint label.'
- The page will refresh and show your label ready to print again.
- I printed a label but am not going to use it? Can I void the label and get a refund?
Yes. You have up to 120 hours from the time you print a USPS label to void it and get a refund. The cost of the label is credited to your PayPal account within about 21 days. To void a label:
- Look under 'What would you like to do next?' on the right hand side of the page.
- Click 'Void label.'
- Follow the instructions on the Void your shipping label page.
For FedEx labels printed on eBay, you are only charged for the labels you use - no need to worry about misprinted or destroyed labels.
With UPS labels printed on PayPal, you are only charged for the labels you use, but must void a label if you don't use it to avoid being charged.
- With eBay labels can I arrange for carrier pickup?
Pickup is free from the USPS for Priority Mail or Express Mail. If you do not schedule a pickup, save time by dropping your shipment off at the Post Office counter instead of waiting in line. Scheduled pickup is not currently a feature for FedEx labels on eBay.
- Is eBay label printing available outside the US.?
No. eBay Labels on eBay are only available to U.S. sellers at this time.
- Can I print shipping labels for buyers outside the U.S.?
Yes. U.S. sellers can print USPS international shipping labels using eBay labels. Customs forms are pre-filled with key, up-to-date information. Plus, international labels are in PDF format so they are easier to print.
You may also use the Global Shipping Program. The Global Shipping Program lets you sell to buyers in many countries around the world. When an item sells, just ship the item to the US shipping center. International shipping is handled for you, including preparing customs forms, paying applicable import charges and shipping to the buyer using a fast, reliable carrier.
- I'd like to sell to buyers in Russia. Can I print and pay for postage to Russia using eBay labels?
Yes, eBay labels make it easy to purchase and print postage for shipments to Russia. We recommend you use a tracked service such as USPS Priority Mail International®, which is now available on eBay Labels. You can also use eBay labels for USPS First Class Package International Service® to Russia.
- Can I request free carrier pickup?
- Free carrier pickup is available from USPS. After you have printed your label, simply request a pickup from USPS. USPS free carrier pickup can only be used if you are shipping at least one Priority Mail or Express Mail package domestic and international.
- For FedEx® shipments you can take advantage of the FedEx Convenience Network which offers more than 50,000 convenient drop-off locations where you can drop off your shipments. FedEx labels on eBay does not currently support scheduled carrier pickups.
- For UPS shipments, once you have printed your label, you can drop off your packages at any one of nearly 4,400 locations of The UPS Store. You may also hand your package to a UPS driver at no additional charge. Or, for an additional fee, arrange for a pickup through http://www.ups.com/ or 1.800.PICK.UPS. You and your buyer can then track the package right in My eBay, since UPS provides tracking from initial scan through delivery.
- Has the appearance of eBay labels been updated to comply with the Intelligent Mail package Barcode?
Yes, eBay labels have been updated to streamline the way information appears on the label in compliance with the Intelligent Mail package Barcode. The updated label looks slightly different from the previous version but have all the required information to be accepted by the USPS. Sellers may see either version of the label but should continue with business as usual. This change will improve USPS' ability to provide better scanning and tracking. Other popular internet postage providers have already implemented the change.
Fast 'N Free
- How will eBay Fast 'N Free benefit sellers?
eBay Fast 'N Free will help increase your sales by giving buyers a more accurate estimated delivery date and reinforcing the value of your great service. Converting to Fast 'N Free can increase your sales by up to 11%*.
- How does eBay Fast 'N Free work and how is it different from the way delivery time is estimated for all other listings?
Estimated delivery is shown on eBay today as a range of days based on stated handling time plus the carrier's published service delivery times. This often distorts the true picture of delivery. For example, if your stated handling time is one day and you use Economy Shipping, the delivery estimate appears to your buyer as 2-14 days—even if your shipments are consistently delivered in 3 days.
The new way to estimate delivery powering eBay Fast 'N Free gives buyers a personalized delivery date based on historical delivery times to the buyer's area plus other factors, which is more accurate and highlights your fast service. In this example, if your economy shipments are consistently delivered in 3 days to buyers in a particular area, instead of showing a range of 2-14 days your qualified listings would have the Fast 'N Free logo and show an estimated date of 3 days for buyers in that area.
- How is the personalized delivery date calculated?
The estimated delivery date is calculated using a number of factors including historical seller performance, the proximity of the buyer to the item, the historical performance of the shipping carrier, seasonality, and other factors. In order to get the Fast ‘N Free logo, you must provide the exact item location (zip code) for each listing. Additionally specify the exact shipping service, For example, specify “USPS® First-Class Mail®” or “FedEx® Ground” rather than “standard shipping” or “economy shipping.”
- What if the buyer's payment doesn't clear and I can't ship right away?
As always, sellers should ship the item only after the buyer's payment has cleared. The buyer will be informed in the flow that the stated delivery date is dependent on cleared payment and other factors.
- What happens if the delivery within 4 days can't be estimated with a high degree of confidence using the new method?
In any case where a delivery date within 4-days cannot be calculated or cannot be calculated with a high degree of confidence, the eBay Fast 'N Free logo will not appear.
- What are some of the conditions that could prevent the new delivery calculation?
A number of factors could prevent this calculation from being applied, for example: the buyer's zip code is unknown or the seller doesn't have enough of a shipping track record for eBay to evaluate historical performance with a high degree of confidence.
- What is considered a sufficient number of transactions to evaluate a seller's historical performance?
There's no exact number of transactions required to evaluate a seller's historical performance and it may also vary from one transaction to another depending on a variety of other circumstances associated with a specific transaction such as the buyer's location.
- What if I don't offer free shipping but my listing is calculated to be delivered within 4 business days?
If you do not offer free shipping then the Fast 'N Free logo will not appear. The Fast ‘N Free offering is a combination of both 4-day delivery and free shipping.
- Could some buyers see the eBay Fast 'N Free logo on one of my listings and other buyers not see it on the same listing?
Yes, some buyers could see the logo and others may not because estimated delivery for a given item is personalized for the buyer based on their location and other factors.
- Could some buyers see the more precise estimated delivery and other buyers see the traditional delivery estimate as a range of days?
Yes, buyers in different locations could see a different delivery estimate for the same listing—either a different number of days or as the traditional range of days because the delivery estimate is personalized for the buyer based on their location and other factors.
- If the item doesn't arrive by the shorter estimated delivery date, can the buyer open an item not received claim?
- A buyer can't open an eBay Money Back Guarantee case for item not received until after the last day of the shorter estimated delivery.
- If Delivery Confirmation or Tracking information is not available, a buyer can't open an item not received case until 7 days after they have paid.
If a buyer opens an item not received case, as always you'll have 3 business days to up-load tracking information and correspond with the buyer to resolve the issue before the case can be escalated to Customer Support for mediation.
- Will eBay Fast 'N Free appear on eBay Motors?
eBay Fast 'N Free will only be used for listings in the Parts and Accessories Category of eBay Motors.
- What happens if there's a seasonal storm or natural disaster that affects the item delivery date?
eBay customarily asks buyers to be more patient and understanding of the extenuating circumstances for sellers in the affected areas. As always, buyers are encouraged to communicate directly with sellers to work things out.
- What if the buyer leaves me a low detailed seller rating (DSR) for ship time because the package didn't arrive within the Fast 'N Free estimated ship time?
If the buyer leaves a ship time DSR lower than 5 it will be converted automatically to 5-stars if the item is delivered on or before the last day of the traditional window (your stated handling time plus carrier's published timeframe). If the item arrives after the last day of the traditional window, the lower DSR will remain.
- When does the the handling time clock begin and end?
The handling time clock begins when you receive cleared payment from your buyer and ends when your item receives an acceptance scan from your shipping carrier.
- I know Saturdays and Sundays aren't included in my handling time, but what holidays are?
In addition to weekends, major holidays don't count in our handling time calculations. Check out our carrier holidays chart for the complete list.
- Where can I designate my handling time when listing an item on mobile?
To find and change your handling time through the eBay mobile app, first go to your Preferences screen, then select Handling Time (see screenshot above, under “What handling time is, and how you set it”).
- Can I adjust my handling time after I list an item?
Once you’ve listed an item, you can only adjust your handling time if no bids or orders were placed on the item. If a bid or order has been placed, you’ll no longer be able to adjust your handling time.
- When I use eBay labels, it uploads my tracking for me. Does this meet my handling time?
While uploading tracking helps eBay calculate your on-time shipping metric, it's still up to you to make sure your package is scanned by your carrier within your stated handling time. Tracking alone does not meet your handling time commitment.
- If I'm running late and can’t meet my handling time, what should I do?
If you don't think you're going to meet your stated handling time, consider using an expedited shipping service to make sure your buyer still receives the item within the estimated delivery date.
- When can I expect my carrier to scan my package if I drop it off after hours?
There's no guarantee that, just because you’ve dropped off your package at your shipping carrier’s office before 11:59:59 pm PT, it will be scanned before that time. That's why it's important to check your carrier's business hours and drop off your package while they’re open, so it can be scanned before 11:59:59 pm PT that day.
- I offer same-day shipping, and have been delivering my packages to USPS’s after-hours collection box within my handling time. I just discovered that USPS does not scan items left in their after-hours collection box until up to 24 hours later. What should I do?
Again, it's up to you to get your packages to your carrier so that they can be scanned while the carrier is still open for business. Be sure to check your shipping carrier's business hours and cut-off times to ensure your package is scanned before 11:59:59pm.
- Why am I responsible for handling time when I don’t control when packages are scanned?
We hold our sellers accountable for the aspects of the shipping process you can control: using the shipping service specified in your listing, shipping within the stated handling time, and uploading tracking.
Your shipper's acceptance scan is just one of three checkpoints we use to determine whether your item was shipped or delivered on time. You need just one to satisfy your on-time shipping requirement:
- Acceptance scan within your stated handling time or
- Delivery confirmation by estimated delivery date or
- Buyer response that item was delivered by the estimated delivery date
When we don't have any of the above, we check to see if delivery confirmation shows the item was delivered late or if the buyer confirms that item was delivered late.
If we have no response from the buyer and no tracking information, the transaction will not be included in the on-time shipping calculation and won’t be considered on-time or late.