Why is eBay managing payments?
In today's ecommerce landscape, shoppers expect to be able to check out and pay on the site where they're shopping. With the new experience, eBay will manage the payments transaction, which means shoppers will be able to complete their purchases all on eBay. At the same time, sellers will no longer be paid directly from buyers via PayPal, and instead will be paid daily and directly to their bank accounts.
Benefits for sellers
For eBay sellers who want to streamline their business processes with a simpler way to sell and get paid, eBay offers an upgraded selling experience to fit their needs. Benefits include:
- One place to sell and get paid: manage all your selling and payment needs from within your eBay account.
- Simpler invoicing of your eBay fees: all your fees in one place on your eBay invoice.
- Daily payouts: direct to your bank account. No need to transfer funds between accounts.
- New ways for your buyers to pay: such as mobile payments.
- Be protected: claim and chargeback seller protections provided by eBay, with one place to manage disputes.
This is a multi-year journey, where we will be rolling out the new experience in a way that is least disruptive to our customers. We've started reaching out to a small group of sellers to experience the new way to sell and get paid on eBay. We are planning to expand the experience to more sellers in mid 2019. By 2021, we expect to have transitioned a majority of our customers.
As we make this transition, eBay will work closely with sellers to ensure that the managed payments experience reflects their needs. We'll continue to share more details about this process and next steps for sellers as we move forward. Stay up to date here on Seller Center, connect with your Community, or contact us for questions and feedback (800-456-3229).
- I'm a seller, is there anything I need to do right now?
No, you do not need to take any action at this time. If you are eligible, you will receive an email invitation to participate in the initial launch of the new payments experience.
- What does it mean to manage payments?
It means that eBay will manage the end-to-end payments flow on the eBay platform. Buyers will be able to complete their purchases on eBay, and sellers will be paid daily and directly to their bank accounts.
- Why have you decided to manage payments?
We believe this is an opportunity to deliver a more seamless experience for both buyers and sellers, while offering a greater choice in payment and payout options.
- What does this mean for my seller fees?
Most sellers can expect lower overall selling costs. All sellers will also benefit from a simplified pricing structure and more visibility to sales and payouts.
- How will you determine which sellers will be able to participate first?
We selected sellers based on a variety of criteria including sales volume, seller location, percentage of business conducted domestically vs. internationally, seasonality of sales, and categories.
- How will claims and returns work?
In the managed payments model, eBay will offer buyers the capability to submit disputes and claims through the eBay resolution center for most situations. This will provide better visibility to you in managing claims and disputes. In the majority of claims, returns and refunds, eBay will continue to follow existing policies, and refunds will be returned to the original payment method used at time of purchase.
- Will we have seller protection like we do with PayPal?
Yes, as long as your account is in good standing with eBay, seller protection from eBay will help you safeguard your online sales, and prevent you from losing money to chargebacks and claims.
- When and how can I get my payments? Where will I go to get paid?
Generally, you'll get paid daily and directly to your bank account, regardless of how your buyer chooses to pay. From your bank account, you can access your funds directly-there's no need to transfer funds among accounts. Depending on your bank, you can typically expect payouts to be sent to your bank account within 2-4 business days of an order confirmation.
- Do I or my buyers have to sign up with a new payment provider?
No. With eBay managing payments, sellers will only need an eBay account to sell and get paid on eBay, rather than a relationship with both eBay and a payment provider. Like any other online retailer, buyers can choose how they'd like to pay and the processor will not be visible to them.
- How will my buyers check out experience change?
eBay will manage the entire checkout experience, delivering a more streamlined experience for buyers. Buyers will checkout by choosing their payment method, just like with other online retailers. Buyers should not see or experience eBay's processor in checkout.
- Will PayPal be supported in managed payments?
We expect to be able to accept PayPal as a form of payment in summer 2019.
- Will the Global Shipping Program be supported by the new managed payment experience?
Currently, we do not support the Global Shipping Program for sellers who have registered for managed payments. Initially, we will support limited international or cross-border exchanges for US sellers who sell to international buyers in countries where we operate a website (e.g., United Kingdom, Australia, Germany, and France), if:
- Buyers shop and buy from you on eBay.com (the US site), and
- You ship internationally on your own
We will not support listings from sellers in countries where eBay does not maintain a website.
- How can I pay for my shipping labels in this new model?
Our current shipping label program will not change. You will still pay for USPS labels using PayPal. Charges for FedEx label purchases will appear on your monthly invoices.
- If I receive an invitation to register for managed payments, what should I do?
We recommend that you consider the benefits of managed payments and register when you are ready. Starting at the end of September 2018, we will enable registered sellers' accounts and migrate their existing eBay listings to managed payments, so that their listings will reflect the different ways buyers can pay when we launch the new experience. Managed payments will become the default payment experience for all sellers by 2021.
- I didn't receive an invitation to register for managed payments. How will the rollout affect me?
If you didn't receive an invitation, we will contact you when you are eligible to register. We are limiting registrations during our initial rollout. We will gradually increase participation through 2021.
- After I register for managed payments, can I opt out?
No. Managed payments will become the default payment experience for all sellers by 2021 and we are not offering an option to opt out. However, we will seek participating sellers' input and make feature improvements based on feedback we receive to ensure that the experience is meeting their needs and expectations.
- Will I have to transfer my listings when my account is enabled for managed payments?
No. When we enable your account for managed payments, your existing eBay listings will be migrated to the new payment experience, which will reflect the different ways your buyers can pay for their purchases. You will not need to make any changes to your existing listings. They will be made automatically for you.