Certified refurbished program
Qualify to use “certified refurbished” in your item listings.
What is “certified refurbished?”
Our certified refurbished program allows pre-qualified eBay sellers to use “certified refurbished” in their listings, including subtitles, product descriptions, and titles. To qualify for the certified refurbished program, sellers must meet a strict set of requirements, including proof that refurbished inventory was purchased directly from the manufacturer or authorized seller. eBay will review your inventory and account to ensure they meet the program requirements.
Certified refurbished item listings must meet all of these requirements:
- Professionally refurbished to a high standard, with few or no visible blemishes;
- Sold by or sourced directly from the manufacturer, with proof of purchase or authorization;
- Include manufacturer warranty, free shipping, and 30-day free returns, and;
- Shipped in new packaging (similar to new packaging or brown box) with original or new accessories
- Minimize “item not as described” returns
- Improve the visibility of items eligible for the certified refurbished condition
How it works
On eBay, a certified refurbished item is in pristine, like-new condition and has been professionally inspected, cleaned, and refurbished to original specifications by the manufacturer or a manufacturer-approved vendor. The item is expected to be in new packaging with original or new accessories, offer a manufacturer-backed warranty and include free returns and free shipping.
To qualify sellers must meet all of the requirements below:
- You are the manufacturer, or
- You are a manufacturer-approved vendor, in which case you will need to provide evidence that you are authorized to resell the manufacturer’s products
- Your inventory meets certified refurbished condition requirements
- You are in good standing, have average or better service level metrics, and follow all eBay policies
- You are a US-based seller
The following categories are eligible to be listed with the certified refurbished condition:
- Air Purifiers
- Air Tools & Air Compressors
- Alarm Systems
- Alternative Energy (solar)
- Apple Laptops
- Audio Docks & Mini Speakers
- Camera Drones
- Camping & Hiking
- Car Audio
- Carpet Cleaners
- CCTV Systems
- Cell Phone Accessories
- Cell Phone Headsets
- Cell Phones & Smartphones
- Computer Components & Parts
- Console Gaming
- Console Gaming Accessories
- Desktop Computers
- Digital Cameras
- DJ equipment
- Door & Window Sensors
- Door Entry Systems & Intercoms
- DVD & Blu-ray Players
- Electric Scooters
- Fitness Equipment
- Fitness Technology
- Gaming Headsets
- Glass Break Detectors
- Graphics Tablets Boards
- Hair Styling Devices
- Home Audio
- Home Security Parts
- Home Surveillance Parts & Accessories
- Home Theater Projectors
- Home Theater Systems
- Inflatable Mattresses, Air beds
- IP & Smart Security Camera Systems
- Irons/ steamers
- Key Fobs
- Laptops and Netbooks
- Lawn Mowers
- Media Streamers
- Networking (Boosters extenders and antennas)
- Networking (modem)
- Networking (modem-router combo)
- Networking (USB wifi adaptors/Dongles)
- Networking (wireless routers)
- Networking (wireless access points)
- Office Equipment
- Office Furniture
- Office projectors
- Other Computer Monitors, Projectors & Accessories
- Other Home Audio Components
- Other Home Security
- Other Smart Home Electronics
- Other Surveillance Parts & Accessories
- Outdoor Power Equipment
- PC laptops and netbooks
- PC/Laptop Headsets
- Personal Alarms
- Pool Equipment
- Portable & Space Heaters
- Portable Air Conditioners
- Portable Fans
- Power Tool & Air Tool Accessories
- Power Tools
- Programmable Smart Home
- Remotes & Wireless Transmitters
- Security Bars & Grills
- Security Camera Brackets & Mounts
- Security Camera Cases & Housing
- Security Camera Controllers
- Security Camera Lenses
- Security Camera Microphones
- Security Camera Power Supplies
- Security Cameras
- Security Keypads
- Security Timers
- Sensors & Motion Detectors
- Sewing machines
- Small Kitchen Appliances
- Smart Home Hub Accessories
- Smart Home Hub Parts
- Smart Home Hubs
- Smart Light Bulbs
- Smart Light Fixtures
- Smart Light Strips
- Smart Lighting Accessories
- Smart Lighting Kits & Hubs
- Smart Lighting Parts
- Smart Plugs(ID:185061)
- Smart Speaker Accessories
- Smart Speaker Parts
- Smart Speakers
- Smart Speakers, Hubs & Accessories
- Smart Watches
- Smoke & Gas Detectors
- Steam Mops
- Surveillance DVRs & NVRs
- Surveillance Illuminators
- Surveillance Monitors & Displays
- Surveillance Video Processors
- TV & Video
- Vehicle Electronics
- Video Game Console
- Water & Temperature Detectors
- Window & Wall Air Conditioners
Certified refurbished listings that do not meet our condition requirements will be blocked from renewing unless the item condition is changed to seller refurbished. In addition, through October 9, 2020, listings created as manufacturer refurbished will automatically display as seller refurbished to buyers.
A seller refurbished item has been restored to working order by the eBay seller or a third party. This means the item was inspected, cleaned, and repaired to full working order and is in excellent condition. This item may or may not be in original packaging. Learn more.
Apply for the program
If you meet the program criteria and wish to participate, please complete the following form to express your interest. You will be contacted within two weeks. (US-based sellers only)
Certified Refurbished Program - FAQs
- Will I need to update my item condition if I’m not in the program?
No. If you are not in the certified refurbished program and you have listings with manufacturer refurbished as the item condition, the manufacturer refurbished item condition in your listings will automatically change to seller refurbished starting on September 17th.
- Can I still call my items “refurbished” if they aren’t “certified refurbished?”
There are two refurbished item conditions: seller refurbished and certified refurbished. If you are not eligible to list your items as certified refurbished, your item condition will be listed as seller refurbished. Learn more.
- How are returns handled if a buyer says the item is not in the condition they expected?
If a buyer has a problem with their order, or if they change their mind about a purchase, they’ll get in touch with you and ask for help. As part of requirements for the certified refurbished program, all sellers offer free returns. A return of such an item would be handled like any other return. Learn more.
- I am an eBay Top Rated seller. Why do I need to be both in good standing and have average or better service level metrics to meet the program requirements?
In order to ensure an item sold as certified refurbished meets a consistent standard of buyer expectations, we’re using both the seller standing and average or better service level metrics for all sellers in this program.
- Is there an exemption from VeRO warnings for certified refurbished listings?
Unfortunately, at this time, we do not have an automatic exemption or review of VeRO permissions. It is possible that authorized sellers may be mistakenly contacted by a brand to cease and desist listing until they demonstrate evidence of reseller status. Learn more.
Warranty included with every product
eBay has partnered with SquareTrade, an Allstate company, to include a two-year warranty with every Certified Refurbished product. Buyers should file claims directly with Allstate.
Allstate Warranty - FAQs
- Where can Sellers direct Buyers to learn more about the Allstate 2-year warranty?
eBay has partnered with SquareTrade, an Allstate company, to include a two-year warranty with every Certified Refurbished product. Buyers should file claims directly with Allstate. You can direct a buyer to https://pages.ebay.com/buyerprotection/squaretrade.html to learn more and file a claim.
- How should their CX teams direct buyers to file a claim?
Customers should initiate their claim online at allstateprotectionplans.com/service.
- Who repairs devices?
Allstate’s proprietary claims platform optimizes and offers multiple service alternatives to customers - Local Repair at a nationwide network of authorized repair stores, Mail-in Repair via our network of specialized authorized service centers (ASCs), Replacements and/or Reimbursements, depending on the type of product, their location, and issue with the item.
- Are OEM replacement parts being used?
Allstate’s service providers use high-quality replacement parts that may be new or refurbished. All repairs include a 30+ day warranty.
- How are replacements handled?
Allstate’s proprietary replacements algorithm identifies like-kind replacements and offers the same to customers. Typically, replacements are ordered on the same-day as customer selection and include free shipping/basic delivery.
- What if the buyer didn’t receive an eBay confirmation email with warranty details?
The Certified Refurbished badge acts as proof of warranty when paired with a receipt. If the buyer needs to file a claim, they should contact Allstate directly and be prepared with the following: item receipt including order number, order confirmation email showing the Certified Refurbished badge and a link to the original listing.