What is “certified refurbished?”
Our certified refurbished program allows pre-qualified eBay sellers to use “certified refurbished” in their listings, including subtitles, product descriptions, and titles. To qualify for the certified refurbished program, sellers must meet a strict set of requirements, including proof that refurbished inventory was purchased directly from the manufacturer or authorized seller. eBay will review your inventory and account to ensure they meet the program requirements.
Certified refurbished item listings must meet all of these requirements:
- Professionally refurbished to a high standard, with few or no visible blemishes;
- Sold by or sourced directly from the manufacturer, with proof of purchase or authorization;
- Include manufacturer warranty, free shipping, and 30-day free returns, and;
- Shipped in new packaging (similar to new packaging or brown box) with original or new accessories
- Minimize “item not as described” returns
- Improve the visibility of items eligible for the certified refurbished condition
How it works
On eBay, a certified refurbished item is in pristine, like-new condition and has been professionally inspected, cleaned, and refurbished to original specifications by the manufacturer or a manufacturer-approved vendor. The item is expected to be in new packaging with original or new accessories, offer a manufacturer-backed warranty and include free returns and free shipping.
To qualify sellers must meet all of the requirements below:
- You are the manufacturer, or
- You are a manufacturer-approved vendor, in which case you will need to provide evidence that you are authorized to resell the manufacturer’s products
- Your inventory meets certified refurbished condition requirements
- You are in good standing, have average or better service level metrics, and follow all eBay policies
The following categories are eligible to be listed with the certified refurbished condition:
- Desktop Computers
- Gaming Headsets
- Graphics Tablets Boards
- PC/Laptop Headsets
- Portable Audio
- Power Tools
- Small Kitchen Appliances
Certified refurbished listings that do not meet our condition requirements will be blocked from renewing unless the item condition is changed to seller refurbished. In addition, through October 9, 2020, listings created as manufacturer refurbished will automatically display as seller refurbished to buyers.
A seller refurbished item has been restored to working order by the eBay seller or a third party. This means the item was inspected, cleaned, and repaired to full working order and is in excellent condition. This item may or may not be in original packaging. Learn more.
Apply for the program
If you meet the program criteria and wish to participate, please complete the following form to express your interest. You will be contacted within two weeks.
- Will I need to update my item condition if I’m not in the program?
No. If you are not in the certified refurbished program and you have listings with manufacturer refurbished as the item condition, the manufacturer refurbished item condition in your listings will automatically change to seller refurbished starting on September 17th.
- Can I still call my items “refurbished” if they aren’t “certified refurbished?”
There are two refurbished item conditions: seller refurbished and certified refurbished. If you are not eligible to list your items as certified refurbished, your item condition will be listed as seller refurbished. Learn more.
- How are returns handled if a buyer says the item is not in the condition they expected?
If a buyer has a problem with their order, or if they change their mind about a purchase, they’ll get in touch with you and ask for help. As part of requirements for the certified refurbished program, all sellers offer free returns. A return of such an item would be handled like any other return. Learn more.
- I am an eBay Top Rated seller. Why do I need to be both in good standing and have average or better service level metrics to meet the program requirements?
In order to ensure an item sold as certified refurbished meets a consistent standard of buyer expectations, we’re using both the seller standing and average or better service level metrics for all sellers in this program.
- Is there an exemption from VeRO warnings for certified refurbished listings?
Unfortunately, at this time, we do not have an automatic exemption or review of VeRO permissions. It is possible that authorized sellers may be mistakenly contacted by a brand to cease and desist listing until they demonstrate evidence of reseller status. Learn more.