Create customized discounts and coupons to incentivize buyers to spend more in your Store. Improve your items' visibility, and move inventory faster.
What is Promotions Manager?
This quick and easy tool enables you to market your merchandise like a pro.
Create special offers that encourage buyers to shop more of your items and spend more on each order. Best of all, it's free for Stores subscribers.
Shoppers search for deals
of shoppers are looking for a deal or promotion.*
of shoppers want free or discounted shipping.*
Sellers new to Promotions Manager can see sales increases of as much as 11%.**
Setting up your promotions
Promotions help you
Stand out from the crowd
Using Promotions Manager helps your items stand out in search results, increasing visits to your promotion page and exposing more of your inventory.
Showcase relevant items
When you group related items together, buyers spend more time shopping your items, increasing the likelihood of a purchase.
Attract buyers at the right time
eBay actively promotes various categories during relevant times of the year. Use Promotions Manager to highlight relevant merchandise and convert the extra traffic we send you to more customers.
Examples of promotions
Order size discounts
Incentivize buyers to spend more in your store by setting minimum order-size discounts.
- Buy 1 and get 1 at 50% off board games.
- Save 15% when you buy 2 or more men's dress shirts.
- Save $25 when you spend $125 or more on women's new arrivals.
Cut prices on categories you choose.
- Save up to 30% on all laptops.
- Save up to 50% last season's winter gear.
Let buyers save on shipping when they buy more.
- Free shipping on orders over $49.
- Free 2-day shipping on orders over $99.
Create coupons with unique URLs, then share them with buyers via social media and email.
- Extra 20% off for friends and family.
- Extra $10 off your next purchase.
- How do I create markdown sale events?
We integrated our popular Markdown Manager tool into Promotions Manager. Now you can create markdown sale events of up to 45 days in duration using the same convenient tool you use to create Order Discounts and other promotions.
- How many items can I offer in my markdown campaigns?
You can list up to 10,000 items in your markdown campaigns.
- If I create a markdown sale event with Promotions Manager, when will my items be discounted?
Unlike "order discounts," where the discount isn't applied until checkout, markdown discounts revise the item to reduce the price. When you mark down an item (e.g. 20%), the item's price on eBay relects the markdown, and the discount will be applied at checkout. When your sale ends, we will mark your items back up to their pre-markdown prices, which may take several hours.
- Where can buyers see my discounted listings?
Buyers will see a special strike-through price treatment in the following places:
- Item Page (plus Free Shipping, if offered)
- Cross-Promotions on the bottom of the View Item Page
- eBay Stores Promotion Boxes
- Search results
- In-Store Search results (this is the Search within a particular Store)
- Items I'm Watching (if the item has gone on sale after it was added to the buyer's watch list)
- Items I'm Watching Ending Soon Email
- In all other areas, the Sale price will be displayed as the Buy It Now price (including in the main eBay search results)
- When I select the % off in the Sale event only section, does this filter items based on which items are discounted by that amount?
No. This selection does not affect the items included in the offer; it only determines how the offer is worded for the buyer. Items will be included in the sale event regardless of the size of the discount. The criteria for inclusion in a sale event are:
- Items must have strike-through pricing (STP), or percentage or dollar discounts
- Items must meet the inclusion/exclusion rules selected or be included in the selected SKUs or Item IDs
- When I select a % off in the Sale event only section, does this apply at an additional discount to the items I select for the event?
No. Sale events are merchandising opportunities for already discounted items. A sale event only created through Promotions Manager does not apply an additional discount. If you want to apply a % discount to a set of items, use the Discount + sale event section.
- What kind of listings would qualify to be part of an offer?
The minimum requirements for qualification in a special offer are:
- Items must have PayPal as one of the valid payment options.
- Items must have a Buy It Now option. No Auction types are supported. Best Offer type with a Buy It Now component is supported, but discounts will only be applied if a purchase is made through Buy It Now. Once the buyer has made a "best offer bid" and that bid is accepted, the item is no longer eligible for order discount offers.
- When entering or selecting SKUs for SKU based offers, multi-variation (color, size, style, etc.) items/listings must include the parent SKU ID to be eligible for the offer. Child variation IDs do not need to be added and will automatically be fetched per the parent SKU ID. If only the child SKU ID is included in the offer, this item will be ignored.
- Items with a Minimum Advertised Price, or MAP, treatment (item price is not displayed because it is below the Minimum Advertised Price) are not supported.
- In what order will items for my offer be displayed on the item pages?
In order to enhance the relevance of cross-sold items that are displayed on the Item page, the eBay promotions tool will use an algorithm based on item price, shipping price, and quantity sold to determine the order in which your configured items are displayed. If your items are new and do not have sales history on eBay, the promotions tool will use the order in which you provided the SKUs to determine the display position.
- Is there a way I can configure the event to surface inventory in the order I prefer?
There is currently no way to change the order. The order is determined based on sales over impressions, so the best performers get the prime placements.
Large inventory sets: If offer is a storewide offer or maps to multiple categories, Promotions Manager fetches the other items in the offer for the same category and then displays the item based on popularity (impressions / sales).
Small inventory sets: If the # of eligible items is less than 500, Promotions Manager grabs all of the eligible items and displays based on popularity, e.g. (sales / impressions).
We recommend sellers to break out promotional offers into logical inventory groups that people would tend to shop as a whole. The promotions team is working on improving this functionality.
- What is the limit of SKUs that can be listed in an offer? Is this limit going to change?
You can list up to 500 SKUs with each Order Offer. The limitation is in scope for the future roadmap.
- I have more than 500 SKUs that I need to put on a promotion. How can this be done?
If you have more than 500 SKUs for the promotion, the best practice is to select items by Store category. You can also create a second Store category for items to be placed in a promotion. If you cannot create new Store categories, you will need to separate the items into different order size promotions.
- How are the discounts distributed?
The total discount from your special offer will be applied to the buyer's order subtotal. The order discount is then itemized across all items (primary and related) applicable to the offer on a cost weighted basis. This is an industry standard that's designed to protect sellers from buyers getting an item for a steep discount when returning the more expensive item. To prevent buyers from getting any discount when returning part of the order and no longer satisfy the discount conditions, you can change your return policy to not accept partial returns.
- Can I schedule my offer in advance?
Yes, Promotions Manager allows you to set offers to activate at a future date/time and specify the date/time when the offer should automatically deactivate. Once an offer is live you can also edit it, put it on hold, or end it prior to the specified end date.
- Can I schedule when to place my offer on hold or when to reactivate my offer?
The eBay tool for creating and managing promotions does not currently support the ability to schedule offers to be held or reactivated at a specific time. When you choose to pause an offer or resume an offer, it will take effect within 15 minutes.
- How do I exclude SKUs from a promotion?
You can exclude up to 100 SKUs from a promotion on an item by item basis or by exclusion rule using eBay or seller Store category. This can be done as part of Step 2 of offer creation, "Choose qualifying items for your offer." You would select "Create exclusion rule."
*Source: National Retail Federation, 2013.
**Claims are based on gross merchandise volume (GMV) data generated by a defined set of items on eBay during 2016-07-04 and 2016-12-31 which were promoted in a variety of formats (example order size discounts, free shipping offers, sales events, and related item discounts) by their sellers' use of the promotions management tool on eBay for the first time. The GMV from the sale of these items was measured before and during these promotions. The increase is the difference between the GMV measured before and after compared to it during the promotions. Your actual results from use of the promotions management tool on eBay may vary and eBay makes no guarantee that you will see similar results.