Match to buyers’ most frequently searched terms and make your listings easier to find.
What are item specifics?
Item specifics are descriptive keywords that tell a buyer about your item. They may include brand, size, length, width, height, type, color or style and many more, and vary depending on what you’re selling.
They’re easy to add directly through eBay or within third party tools.
What are the benefits of adding item specifics to my listing?
- Item specifics have a direct impact on your visibility within a buyer's search results.
- Complete and accurate item specifics can increase the visibility of your listing in eBay search results, Google search, and Google Shopping, and help your buyers find exactly what they are looking for.
- Buyers use item specifics to filter their search results, making it easier for them to find exactly what they’re looking for. Your item will only appear in those filtered search results if you have added the matching item specific information to your listing.
- Item specifics are also very important on mobile search results.
- They sit at the top of your item description in a standardized format, giving buyers a clear overview of what they’re looking at.
Buyers’ in home & garden and fashion categories are 65%* more likely to use filters to narrow down their search results so they can more easily find what they’re looking for.
Dress listings with the item specifics “style” and “dress length” completed, sell 81% more than those without.**
- “Required” item specifics are necessary to successfully launch your listing.
- “Recommended” item specifics help your listings be found easier by buyers based on their frequently searched terms.
Item Specific Requirements
Starting June 2019, we started recommending item specifics to use when selling in Home & Garden. Effective October 15, 2019, we’ll introduce even more item specific requirements in Toys, Fashion, Home & Garden, Collectibles, and Media & Gift Cards categories. These requirements will apply to new and revised listings. If you do not fill out the required item specifics, your listings will not successfully publish.
See how many more searches you match
The lightning bolt meter moves to let you know how many more searches you will match with each additional item specific you add.
Need help finding missing item specifics? Use Seller Hub.
In Seller Hub, you can also find out what item specifics are required and recommended when you list or revise your items. In addition to the required item specifics, we encourage you to fill out as many recommended item specifics as you can by selecting Add your own item specific.
We’re working with third-party tool providers to audit how much visibility they are giving to item specifics, including required item specifics, in their tools.
Use Optiseller to bulk update and optimize item specifics
Adding Item specifics to your existing listings can be time consuming. Optiseller is a third party tool to help you identify listings with missing Item specifics and is free to use until March 31st, 2019.
* Data collected between July-Sep 2018.
** Report comparing average sales value per listing for listings with item specifics “dress length” and “style” vs those without from December 2017-July 2018.