Match to buyers’ most frequently searched terms and make your listings easier to find.
What are item specifics?
Item specifics are descriptive keywords that tell a buyer about your item. They may include brand, size, length, width, height, type, color or style and many more, and vary depending on what you’re selling.
They’re easy to add directly through eBay or within third party tools.
What are the benefits of adding item specifics to my listing?
- Item specifics have a direct impact on your visibility within a buyer's search results.
- Complete and accurate item specifics can increase the visibility of your listing in eBay search results, Google search, and Google Shopping, and help your buyers find exactly what they are looking for.
- Buyers use item specifics to filter their search results, making it easier for them to find exactly what they’re looking for. Your item will only appear in those filtered search results if you have added the matching item specific information to your listing.
- Item specifics are also very important on mobile search results.
- They sit at the top of your item description in a standardized format, giving buyers a clear overview of what they’re looking at.
Item specific requirements
Over the past year, we’ve emphasized the importance of item specifics and how they increase the visibility of your listings on both eBay and on external search engines. The more data you give us about what you’re selling, the better we can match your item to what a buyer is looking for, either through query search, left- hand navigation filters or category merchandising pages.
We’re adding new item specifics in the below categories at the beginning of October. Although these aren’t required today, they will be marked as Required Soon with a launch date before they become required.
- Business & Industrial
- Clothes, Shoes & Accessories
- Health & Beauty
- Home & Garden
- Music Instruments
- Sporting Goods
On September 9, 2020, we introduced new item specifics requirements in the below categories. These requirements will apply to all new and revised listings.
- New item specifics for Electronics: Download details
- New item specifics for Home & Garden Winter: Download details
- New item specifics for Watches: Download details
- New item specifics for Business & Industrial: Download details
- New item specifics for Sporting Goods: Download details
- New item specifics for Home & Garden Summer: Download details
For item specific requirements previously released in 2019, please see below:
Bulk edit tools to find missing item specifics
This tool is available on the Seller Hub Active Listings page and will allow you to download an Excel file containing all of your active listings that are missing required, soon-to-be required, or recommended item specifics.
To get started, click here to go to the Active listings page, click on Download - Missing required or recommended item specifics.
Open the file once ready, choose from the available values in drop-down menus or adding your own values.
Once you’ve completed your updates, save the Excel file in CSV format.
Note: Excel will give a warning that you can only save the worksheet you are on. Make sure you are viewing the sheet you are trying to save.
- On the Active listings page, click on Upload - Item specifics file.
- Select the CSV file you previously saved to your computer and then it will begin the upload process.
You can now use Optiseller free of charge here, courtesy of eBay* until at least December 31, 2020, to automatically review your listings. Identify missing and required item specifics, find recommended values, and easily update your listings (either directly on eBay or through another listing tool). Once you register with Optiseller, follow the steps below to optimize your listings.
Select either a review of item specifics that will be “Required Soon” or “Advanced” to optimize your listings that may be missing item specifics in applicable categories.
Optiseller’s tool will identify specifics in your listing that are missing, as shown below, and require an update. Fill in the missing information.
Once you have filled in the missing item specifics, click “Revise on eBay” to have your changes reflect immediately or click “Export Data” to select a file format and download.
Note: Sellers using a third-party provider should first check with their listing provider to see how to best utilize the Optiseller tool via the tool itself or the downloadable file option.
*This eBay offer includes access to the Optiseller Aspect Finder+ tool for sellers from July 1 until December 31, 2020. No commitment is required from sellers beyond this date, no payment details are required to redeem this offer, and sellers who redeem the offer will not be charged for the use of the tool during the offer period. To take advantage of this offer, sellers must sign up using the link provided (or if already an existing Optiseller user, by logging in by using the link provided). Optiseller does offer other paid-for tools, services and plans which can be purchased separately. These are not included in the free offer.
Features for finding missing item specifics
Required Soon feature
- When you list or revise an item, within the listing flow you will see Required soon above item specifics that have an upcoming enforcement date.
Seller Hub will give you information about upcoming item specifics requirements and the dates that will become mandatory for your current listings.
Required soon quick filter on the active listings page. This will enable sellers to quickly identify listings needing action to ensure item specifics have been added prior to the required date.
Item specifics rankings
In the listing flow, this feature gives you guidance on what the most important item specifics your buyers are searching for using buyer demand data (the number of searches over the past 30 days). Within the Recommended and Additional sections for item specifics, you’ll see the most important item specifics at the top. Providing these item specifics will help to increase your product’s visibility especially when buyers use the left-hand navigation filters.
- Required item specifics are necessary to successfully launch your listing or complete a revision.
- Required Soon item specifics will be enforced in the near future. By hovering over the required soon, you will find the date they will be enforced.
- Recommended item specifics provide additional information to your buyers. Item specifics are now ranked in the order most searched within each section so you’ll see the most important item specifics at the very top. See item specifics ranking below for more information.
Tip: See how many more searches you match.
The lightning bolt meter moves to let you know how many more searches you will match with each additional item specific you add.
Goal: Try to turn the gray wheel blue!
Bulk revise on the Active Listings page
Quickly update item specifics using the bulk flow on the Seller Hub Active Listings page.
- Select the checkbox next to the listings you’d like to update.
- Click on Actions - Add item specifics.
- Fill in as many missing item specifics as possible.
- Click Save and Next to go through them quickly to choose your item specifics.
View missing item specifics in the Tasks Module
On your Overview page in Seller Hub, a new task in the Tasks module will let you know when you have listings that are missing required item specifics. Simply click on the task and you’ll be taken to those listings.
Buyers’ in home & garden and fashion categories are 65%* more likely to use filters to narrow down their search results so they can more easily find what they’re looking for.
Dress listings with the item specifics “style” and “dress length” completed, sell 81% more than those without.**
Please note that where we are changing existing item specifics to a new like-for-like item specifics value, we will match these on your listings automatically when your products are renewed, relisted, or revised. If the item specifics have changed and there is no exact match, we won’t do this and you will need to update these listings.
In addition, as mentioned in our February Seller News, there are now two places on Seller Hub, My eBay and the app where you can see which of your active listings have missing item specifics.
* Data collected between July-Sep 2018.
** Report comparing average sales value per listing for listings with item specifics “dress length” and “style” vs those without from December 2017-July 2018.