If you think you are a victim of a Gift Card scam, please contact us.
Gift Cards: Terms and Conditions
Date last updated: July 13, 2021
Protect yourself from gift card scams
To make sure your eBay Gift Card codes are safe from scammers, follow these tips:
Treat your eBay Gift Card redemption code like cash.
- Never give or send your eBay Gift Card code to anyone outside of eBay.com checkout. That’s a scam.
- Your eBay Gift Card can only be redeemed at checkout on eBay.com.
- Do not use your gift card to pay anyone outside of the eBay platform.
We will never ask you to email your personal information. Remember, if eBay needs you to update your account or provide any information, we always send a copy of our request to your Messages folder in My eBay. Always check there first.
What to do if you’ve been targeted by a gift card scam
- Contact eBay Customer Service immediately
- eBay Customer Service may ask you to forward suspicious emails about eBay Gift Card you bought to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the first 9 digits of your eBay Gift Card in your message.
- Keep the eBay Gift Card itself and your receipt for the eBay Gift Card. We’ll need these in order to verify your eBay Gift Card.
By purchasing, accepting or using the eBay Gift Card in physical or digital form ("Gift Card") and in consideration for your right to use the Gift Card, you agree to be bound by these terms and conditions (the "Terms and Conditions") and the terms and conditions contained in the eBay User Agreement (the "eBay User Agreement"). In these Terms and Conditions, "you" and "your" means the cardholder who has purchased or received a Gift Card. "We" or "our" means eBay Gift Card Services, Inc., and eBay Inc., as applicable.
The terms and conditions of the eBay User Agreement are incorporated herein by reference. Please be advised that the eBay User Agreement contains provisions that govern how claims you and we have against each other are resolved (see section entitled "Legal Disputes" in the eBay User Agreement). It also contains an arbitration agreement section entitled "Agreement to Arbitrate", which will, with limited exceptions, require you to submit claims you have against us to binding and final arbitration, unless you opt out of the arbitration agreement (see the "Legal Disputes" provision in the eBay User Agreement). In the event of any conflict between these Terms and Conditions and those contained in the eBay User Agreement, these Terms and Conditions shall prevail.
- You must have an eBay account with a registered address in the U.S., and a U.S. shipping address to redeem the Gift Card. If you attempt to circumvent this or any of these Terms through technical means or otherwise, eBay may, in its sole discretion take steps to cancel your transaction, freeze gift card funds to prevent redemption and/or terminate your eBay account. For security purposes, you may be required to enter credit card or bank account information to open an eBay account.
- Invalid or unidentifiable Gift Card numbers will not be redeemed.
- As a security feature, upon first use the Gift Card (including funds on the Gift Card) links to the eBay account associated with the Gift Card’s first use and becomes non-transferable.
- The Gift Card may only be used for purchases on ebay.com.
- It is important that you track the Gift Card balance. You may check your Gift Card balance by using the Gift Card balance checker.
- The Gift Card is not refundable or redeemable for cash or credit, unless required by law.
- The Gift Card may be used to make purchases only up to the available balance on the Gift Card. The available balance of the Gift Card is reduced by the amount of each purchase of goods or services and by other deductions, if any, that may be required by law.
- If you want to use the Gift Card to make a purchase that exceeds the available balance on the Gift Card, you must combine the use of the Gift Card with additional payment from another funding source. You agree that we are not responsible if you do not have enough funds on your Gift Card to facilitate a transaction.
- The Gift Card may not be used to pay eBay service fees. The Gift Card also may not be used to buy eBay Gift Cards, third party gift cards, gift certificates, coupons, coins, paper money, virtual currency, or items generally considered to be "bullion" (for example, gold, silver, and other precious metals in the form of coins, bars, or ingots).
- No more than a total of $1000 in Gift Cards may be redeemed per day, and no more than a total of $1500 in Gift Cards may be redeemed per calendar month. Further, you may only redeem a maximum of four Gift Cards in any single transaction (and fewer if you are redeeming Gift Cards in combination with other redemption codes, such as coupons or vouchers).
- The Gift Card is not redeemable outside the U.S. or its Territories.
Disclaimer of Warranties; Limitation of Liability
- WITHOUT LIMITING THE DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES CONTAINED IN THE EBAY USER AGREEMENT AND TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, WE AND OUR RESPECTIVE AFFILIATES MAKE NO REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, WITH RESPECT TO THE GIFT CARD OR ANY PURCHASES MADE WITH THE GIFT CARD, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT, OR ANY WARRANTY ARISING BY USAGE OF TRADE, COURSE OF DEALING, OR COURSE OF PERFORMANCE. Some jurisdictions do not allow the disclaimer of implied warranties, so the foregoing disclaimer may not apply to you. This paragraph gives you specific legal rights and you may also have other legal rights that vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.
- IN ADDITION TO THE EXCLUSION OF DAMAGES SET OUT IN THE EBAY USER AGREEMENT, YOU AGREE THAT WE AND OUR RESPECTIVE AFFILIATES SHALL HAVE NO LIABILITY FOR LOST PROFITS OR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS (HOWEVER ARISING, INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE). IN ADDITION, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT SHALL WE OR OUR RESPECTIVE AFFILIATES HAVE ANY LIABILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES OR LOSSES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO LOST PROFITS OR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES) RESULTING DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY FROM: (A) UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO, OR ALTERATION, THEFT OR DESTRUCTION OF A GIFT CARD THROUGH ACCIDENT, MISUSE, OR FRAUDULENT MEANS OR DEVICES BY YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTY; (B) ANY CIRCUMSTANCES BEYOND OUR CONTROL; (C) THE USE OF THE GIFT CARD BEING SUSPENDED OR PROHIBITED BECAUSE IT HAS BEEN REPORTED LOST OR STOLEN, OR WE BELIEVE IT IS BEING USED SUSPICIOUSLY OR FRAUDULENTLY OR IS BEING SUBJECTED TO UNAUTHORIZED USE; (D) THROUGH NO FAULT OF OURS, YOUR NOT HAVING SUFFICIENT FUNDS ON A GIFT CARD TO COVER A TRANSACTION; OR (E) INABILITY TO USE A GIFT CARD BECAUSE OUR SYSTEM IS NOT WORKING PROPERLY. YOU AGREE THAT WE AND OUR AFFILIATES ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INTERRUPTION OF SERVICE. The laws of certain states or other jurisdictions may not allow limitations on implied warranties, or the exclusion or limitation of certain damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. NOTWITHSTANDING THE FOREGOING AND THE DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES IN THE EBAY USER AGREEMENT AND IN SECTION 11 OF THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, IN THE EVENT THAT WE OR OUR RESPECTIVE AFFILIATES ARE FOUND LIABLE TO YOU, YOU SHALL ONLY BE ENTITLED TO RECOVER ACTUAL AND DIRECT DAMAGES IN AN AMOUNT NOT TO EXCEED THE AMOUNT LOADED ONTO YOUR GIFT CARD.
- The funds on the Gift Card do not expire. No fees apply.
- Protect the Gift Card like cash. Lost, stolen or damaged Gift Cards will only be replaced if the Gift Card has never been used, and only with satisfactory proof of purchase and Gift Card number, where required by law.
- We reserve the right to correct the Gift Card balance if we believe that a clerical, billing or accounting error has occurred. You also agree that we may deactivate, cancel or suspend any Gift Card and freeze any associated Gift Card funds if we suspect fraud, unlawful activity or improper Gift Card use. You agree that you will not use a revoked Gift Card.
- The Gift Card is not a credit, debit, or charge card. No implied warranties attach to it.
- Use of the eBay services is subject to eBay’s User Agreement. Gift Card users must be 18 years of age or older.
- The Gift Card is issued by eBay Gift Card Services, Inc., an Arizona corporation, which reserves the right to change the terms of the eBay Gift Card program or amend these Terms and Conditions at any time or to contract with a third party to administer this program. Any amendment to the Terms and Conditions will be effective when posted on www.ebay.com.
- We may assign these Terms and Conditions at any time without notice to you. However, if we assign the Terms and Conditions, the Terms and Conditions will remain substantially the same unless you are notified.