Uploading accurate shipping tracking information is a vital part of the selling process. When buyers can track the progress of their shipment, they tend to be more satisfied and leave higher detailed seller ratings (DSRs). This key action also reduces the amount of time sellers spend answering one of the most common buyer questions: "Where's my stuff?" Additionally, tracking information plays an important role in the eBay dispute resolution process and helps you qualify for automatic 5-star shipping time DSRs.
You can upload virtually any shipping carrier’s shipping tracking information. When you upload this information to eBay, your buyers receive it via an automated email, and can access it from within their My eBay. If you pay for shipping and print shipping labels on eBay or PayPal, the upload of this information to eBay is automatic. If you use third party services or bulk tools to list your items, uploading this information to eBay is easy.
Benefits of Uploading Tracking Information
- Improved Buyer Experience. When you upload this information, buyers can more easily determine when they will receive their packages.
- Improved Buyer Confidence. Uploading Delivery Confirmation or tracking information gives buyers greater confidence that their transaction will go through without an issue.
- Improved Feedback and DSRs. When buyers can track the progress of their shipment, they're more satisfied and tend to leave higher DSRs. Tracking information and Delivery Confirmation also helps you qualify for automatic 5-star shipping time DSRs.
- Seller Efficiency. Providing tracking information and Delivery Confirmation tends to reduce the amount of time spent answering shipping-related buyer questions.
- Seller Protection. Shipping tracking information plays an important role in the eBay dispute resolution process. Tracking information that shows delivery to the address in the order details is seen as "evidence" in the event an Item Not Received case is opened, and protects sellers against claims. For transactions of $750 or more (including domestic shipping, tax, and any other fees charged by the seller), be sure to upload shipping tracking information and include Signature Confirmation to protect yourself from eBay Buyer Protection cases (Note: for PayPal Buyer Protection cases, items costing $250 or more require proof of the recipient's signature.)
- Seller Standing. When you upload accurate tracking information, you improve your Tracking metrics, which help you qualify to be a Top Rated Seller.
How to Upload Tracking Information to My eBay
To learn how to upload this important information to My eBay, watch a quick 2-minute video or follow these easy steps:
- Go to the Sold section of My eBay.
- Select the check box next to the item you want to add a tracking number for.
- Click the Add tracking number button.
- On the Add/Edit/Delete Tracking Number page, enter the tracking number.
- Only type the tracking number (no other details)
- Enter only one tracking number per line
- Enter the carrier name
- Only type the carrier's name (no other details)
- Try to use the suggested spelling as you type the carrier name
— Spelling used: USPS, FedEx, DHL, DHL Global Mail
- Click the Save button.
Once you've uploaded tracking information, it appears in the following places:
- The item's Order Details page
- My eBay
- Feedback page
- Automated Order Update email
Additionally, uploaded information is integrated into the eBay Resolutions flow.
When you upload tracking, we'll send your buyer an email with the shipping tracking number so they can rest assured that their item is on its way.
Automatically Upload Tracking Numbers using eBay labels
If you pay for shipping and print labels on eBay using eBay labels, tracking information is automatically uploaded to My eBay and emailed to your buyer. You can create shipping labels and packing slips on eBay when you ship via USPS and print one label at a time. You don't need a special label printer—just print the label on a normal sheet of paper and tape it to your package.
Bulk tools and Certified Providers
Do you use bulk tools or a Certified Provider? See the Uploading Tracking Numbers Using Bulk Tools and Third Party Services page for detailed information on how to upload tracking numbers in bulk.
Mark items as shipped if you don’t have tracking information
If your carrier does not provide a tracking number or if the purchased item is not sent through a carrier, be sure to mark your item as "shipped" in My eBay as soon as you send it. Your buyer is notified in the Order Update email that their item is marked as "shipped" and will see a "shipped" icon within My eBay. Consider following up personally via email to let your buyer know you shipped the item— that way the buyer is assured the item is on its way and should arrive within your estimated delivery time.
Extra shipping tips and resources
Read answers to frequently asked questions about eBay labels.
Get special eBay discounts from USPS, UPS, and FedEx.
Connect with other eBay sellers and get the tools, tips, and inspiration to grow your business.
Boost your sales and ratings, and lower your costs.
From My eBay you can pay for discounted postage, print shipping labels, and upload tracking.
Print up to 50 USPS shipping labels at once.
Estimate shipping costs with ease.
Get FREE eBay and USPS co-branded Flat Rate boxes sent right to your home.
Boost your shipping DSRs and lower your shipping costs with these best practices.
See how offering Fast ‘N Free shipping can increase your sales and improve your seller rating.
Offer Fast ‘N Free shipping: You’ll get an automatic 5-star seller rating on shipping and handling and you could increase sales by 11%†.
The latest eBay mobile app gives you suggestions for which shipping method to use and how much it will cost.