Fee updates are now in effect. Learn more
Clearly describe the item
Specify the item’s condition, describe any flaws and include lots of pictures.
- Specify item condition accurately, such as New, Used or Refurbished. Stating the condition of your item helps set buyer expectations and is required in most categories. Buyers can also sort their searches using Item Specifics--a powerful tool to help ensure your items are seen by the buyers who are interested in your items.
- Describe any flaws like scratches, dings, functional problems, missing parts or smells (cigarette or pet odors, for example).
- Include multiple pictures of the item in your listings, from multiple angles—especially if there are flaws. You get 12 FREE pictures per listing.
Clearly specify your terms and conditions
Include shipping costs and method used, payment details, returns, and fees.
- State your terms clearly. Make your terms of sale easy to find—and to understand—so buyers know what to expect. Terms should include: shipping and handling information, shipping costs and method used, forms of payment accepted, return policy (including any restocking fees, if applicable) and relevant taxes, if applicable.
Offer a generous returns policy
We recommend that you opt in to our hassle-free returns process for a simpler, more efficient way to manage your returns.
If you don’t use hassle-free returns, here are our recommendations when you set up your returns policy.
- Provide long return windows—30 days is ideal
- Pay for shipping on all returns
- Waive restocking fees
- Use the "Money back or exchange" option when you have the depth of inventory to support an exchange for a different size, color or undamaged unit. Otherwise, use "Money back."
- Wait until items are returned to you before issuing a refund. If you’re unable to resolve a disagreement by working directly with the buyer, document the issue through Report a Buyer.
- If you ship internationally, specify your return policy for international purchases within your item description.
Set up payments to avoid unpaid items
Offer PayPal, use eBay checkout, and sign up for Unpaid Item Assistant
- Make it easy for your buyers to pay by offering PayPal.
- Use the eBay checkout feature to make it simple for buyers to pay you.
- Require immediate payment for auction-style listings with a Buy It Now price.
- For fixed price listings below $1000, specify a shipping cost and PayPal as the only payment method. For this type of listing, buyers will be asked to pay for the item immediately when they click the Buy It Now button.
- Sign up for Unpaid Item Assistant to automatically open and close unpaid item cases as early as 2 days after the transaction ends. The payments details section may also include how long the buyer has to make a payment before an unpaid item case is opened.
- You can also take steps to protect yourself by using buyer requirements and buyer management tools, including the blocking buyers feature. This lets you block buyers who have unpaid items or other policy violations on record, buyers in certain countries of residence, or even specific buyers.
Specify shipping and handling services
Provide all the details, including costs and handling time. Keep buyers informed on the status of their items by uploading tracking information on all your transactions.
- Specify your shipping services. Economy, Standard, Expedited or One-day shipping. If you choose a generic shipping service, make sure the carrier you use aligns with the expectations for that service. An estimated delivery time is shown for each shipping service you offer. The time is calculated using your specified handling time added to the carrier’s posted delivery estimate for that shipping service.
- Ensure you clearly state shipping costs by either inserting the eBay Shipping Calculator or entering a flat shipping rate for each service you offer.
- Specify your handling time. This is the time between when you receive funds from the buyer and when you put the item in the mail. Same-day turnaround is best; most buyers are looking for a handling time of 2 days or less. If you do not ship on weekends, state that in your description.
- Specify your shipping policies in the shipping details section of your listing.
- Upload tracking on all your transactions. Use eBay labels printing service and get tracking information automatically uploaded into My eBay for you and your buyer to see. You can also manually upload tracking, upload in bulk, using one of our bulk tools, or automatically upload it to My eBay via popular third party shipping label tools. Uploading tracking information helps to avoid—and resolve—buyer cases for an item not received.
- Use signature confirmation on delivery of items of $750 or more.
Use the Resolution Center to respond
Provide detailed information in your listing to help buyers get the answers they need.
- Buyers often have questions before, during and after a sale. By providing detailed information in your listing, using auto answers, communicating shipping information as soon as possible, and responding right away to any questions buyers send you directly, you can help buyers get the answers they need.
- If a buyer opens a case in the Resolution Center for an item not received or an item not as described, be sure to respond promptly within 3 business days.
More about seller protection
Find out how you’re protected.
Have a question about how to deal with feedback or a low DSR? See the FAQ for answers.
So you can focus on doing what matters most to your buyers.