Congratulations—your commitment to great service is paying off! The facts for 2011: With eBay growing at double-digit rates, you now have access to more than 100 million active buyers. eBay mobile sales globally reached $5 billion, and holiday 2011 sales volume set new records. Best of all, sales growth for eBay Top-rated sellers outpaced the growth of ecommerce!
Keeping the growing ranks of online shoppers coming your way and helping you get your listings in front of the right buyers are eBay’s top goals for updates coming this spring and summer. As always, updates that impact your selling are consolidated with lead time to adapt. This is the first of two seller updates for 2012.
Free pictures on all listings submitted starting on July 2 (excluding eBay Motors vehicles)
Lots of great pictures translate to more sales, so get ready to load up.
Top-rated seller program rewards listings with prompt shipping and returns
Savvy online merchants understand that consumer expectations are evolving, and they are adapting to the world class services needed to compete. In June, the eBay Top-rated seller program will also evolve to keep pace—and keep eBay the best place to shop.
- Starting in June, Top-rated sellers need to have tracking information uploaded to eBay on at least 90% of all transactions with US buyers.
- Starting June 1, only those listings from Top-rated sellers that include 2 key services will earn the a 20% final value fee discount and the highest average boost in Best Match:
- 1-day handling time
- 14-day or longer return policy with a money-back option
- Bonus discount now: As an extra reward to help you get started offering these in-demand services now, from March 1 through May 31, Top-rated sellers will get a bonus 5% discount off final value fees—along with their current 20% discount—for all listings with 1-day handling and a minimum 14-day return window with money-back option.
- To include sellers of more sizes, the annual sales requirement to be a Top-rated seller will be lowered to $1,000.
Safeguards protect your record of great service
- Get an automatic 5-star communication rating for transactions where you offer 1-day handling time, upload tracking information by the end of the next business day, and there is no communication between you and the buyer.
- Feedback for unpaid items: Feedback left by a buyer with an unpaid item recorded for the transaction will be automatically removed from your record.
- Global protection: Earlier this year, eBay started displaying an automatic message on the View Item page to buyers outside the US regarding customs-related delays and customs duties. Because of this, any Feedback from international buyers that only references customs issues will qualify for Feedback removal.
Improve your efficiency and profitability
- Shipping updates
- 3-day or longer handling will trigger a message on the item page notifying buyers that their item may take longer than 3 days to ship.
- Reclassifying USPS® First-Class service from “Expedited” to “Standard” will help set the right delivery expectations and help protect your ship time ratings.
- 3-day and 7-day return windows and “Merchandise credit” and “Exchange” refund options will be retired starting the first week of May to give buyers reasonable timeframes for returns and reassurance they can get their money back.
- Optional new return process lets you manage returns according to your specified policies, right from My eBay, streamlines returns for you and your buyers, and automatically refunds your final value fees.
- New listing guidelines
- New picture requirements: Lots of great quality pictures help your item sell—and inspire confidence in eBay as a great place to shop. Starting this fall, all listings will be required to have at least one picture. Additional quality standards for pictures will also be in effect.
- Search and Best Match looks at information in your item description as well as your title to help get your listings in front of the right buyers. Item specifics, product codes like UPCs and ISBNs, brand, part numbers and other descriptors will be increasingly important for getting a higher ranking in search.
- Duplicate listings: Making it easier for buyers to find what they want by reducing the number of duplicate listings in search results has significantly increased sales for many sellers. Further steps to reduce duplicates are coming in May.
Category and other updates
- New maximum fee for Standard Auction-style listings. Starting May 1, the maximum final value fee for Standard Auction-style listings will be $250. Note this only impacts transactions of more than $1,111 for sellers who don’t have an eBay Stores subscription.
- Electronics & Technology: To ensure your listings get found by interested buyers, listing with the eBay catalog will be required in more consumer electronics categories including DVD & Blu-ray Players, Home Theater Receivers, Home Speakers & Subwoofers, Home Theater Systems, and Home Theater Projectors.
- Parts & Accessories: Listing features will be retired to focus on listing relevance.
- Motors Vehicles: List vehicles the easy way with Vehicle Identification Numbers (VIN).
- Category and Item Specific updates consolidated with the rest of seller updates to save you time and effort:
- Clothing, Shoes & Accessories
- Computers & Networking
- Consumer Electronics
- eBay Motors
- Jewelry & Watches
- Home & Garden
See the Seller Checklist
for more information about how these updates affect you.
Use bulk editing tools
to update your listings quickly and easily.
Learn more from other sellers and eBay staff in the 2012 Spring Seller Update discussion forum