Lift Sales With Free Returns†
The better your returns policy is, the more attractive you’ll be to buyers. The chart below shows the conversion lift you can expect by moving your listings to free returns.
†Free returns: seller pays return shipping no matter the reason for return, with no restocking fee.
Deliver Great Customer Service After the Sale
A generous returns policy and a quick, simple return process are must-haves for online shoppers.
eBay gives you the flexibility to customize how you handle returns with options to automate the process or manually approve specific requests. With returns on eBay, you can:
- Choose to approve returns automatically or manually
- Offer automatic refunds and tell the buyer to keep an item
- Choose your preferred return-shipping label
- Route returns to specific addresses
- Offer replacements and exchanges
- Include RMAs and structured restocking fees
Simplify Customer Service after the Sale
With eBay returns, you can customize the way you handle returns, refunds, replacements, and exchanges. This makes returns easier and less time consuming for both you and your buyers.
Click the tabs above to learn more about customizing and optimizing your returns.
You Choose How You Handle Returns
Customizing your return preferences lets you choose when you want to expedite different types of return requests by instructing eBay to process them automatically. Simply create basic or advanced rules within your return preferences in My eBay.
For example, if you always accept returns and offer refunds on clothing items that don’t fit, you can now choose to approve those specific requests and send the buyer a return label by creating a basic rule.
Check out our best practices for suggestions on customizing and automating how you handle return requests.
Send a Return Shipping Label to Your Buyer
After accepting a return, you'll need to send a return shipping label to your buyer and ensure tracking is available as soon as possible. If you’re paying for return shipping, select the eBay labels option to instantly deliver a label to your buyer. You’ll also benefit from discounted shipping rates and automatic tracking. Or, if you have better rates through a different shipping carrier, upload a label from your carrier of choice.
Tip: Whichever method you choose, always include tracking on return shipping to help protect you and your buyer in case there’s an issue with delivery.
Offer a New Item Instead of a Refund
Offering replacements and exchanges is a great way to provide a positive buying experience when there’s an issue with the original item, or if your buyer simply wants a different item. You can even allow the buyer to keep the original item in cases where you don’t want it back.
Tip: A replacement is an item that's identical to the original. An exchange is an item that is different than the original. Be sure to have plenty of stock available when offering either of these options.
Offering a clear, generous return policy helps you attract more buyers
It's no secret that shoppers are more likely to buy an item when they’re confident they can return it if needed. That’s why offering a generous return policy makes good business sense. To make managing returns as efficient as possible, be proactive about the way you list your item—and respond to buyer questions quickly.
Provide great customer service by doing the following:
- Set a competitive return policy by researching what other sellers are offering for similar items
- Be as detailed as possible when describing your item and its condition. Use high quality photos to minimize the need for a return.
- Clearly state who pays for return shipping—you or your buyer
- Accept returns no matter what the reason, so buyers know you stand behind your listings
- Expedite return shipping and handling by customizing and automating some or all return requests
- Consider offering free returns to boost sales and buyer confidence
- Offer an extra–generous return window—30 days or longer is most attractive to buyers, and required for Top Rated seller status
- Offer 60–day returns during the holiday season, letting shoppers know they can buy with confidence throughout November and December
- Wait until items are returned to you, and check them carefully before issuing a refund
- Issue refunds quickly—preferably within 2 days of receiving a returned item
- Ask eBay to step in and help if you can't resolve an issue with your buyer
- Limit restocking fees, as they can make shoppers less likely to buy
- Keep a valid return address on file, and remember that you can manage multiple return addresses through your return preferences