eBay protects you
- eBay works to identify, warn, and restrict buyers who file unusually high numbers of cases.
- You can track the number of times eBay Money Back Guarantee cases have been removed from your account as a result of these actions in your seller dashboard.
- Protection when shipping within your stated time: If a buyer claims that they did not receive an item, the related eBay Money Back Guarantee case will be found in your favor if you shipped within your stated handling time and provided tracking information (with signature confirmation for transactions of $750 or more) before the case was escalated to eBay.
- To be protected, the tracking information will need to show proof of delivery from a shipping company that clearly displays the delivery status of the item as "delivered," the date of delivery (which reflects that you shipped within your stated handling time), and the recipient's address.
- Any buyer feedback (positive, neutral, and negative) along with detailed seller ratings [DSRs] will be removed promptly from transactions in which an eBay Money Back Guarantee case is resolved in your favor by eBay.
What's a defect?
A defect is a part of a transaction that eBay considers to have created a bad shopping experience for buyers.
A transaction can get a defect in two ways.
- When a seller cancels a transaction for out of stock.
- If a seller is unable to resolve a problem through the Resolution Center and eBay or PayPal steps in, and the seller is found responsible.
A seller's transaction defect rate is the percentage of their total transactions that had either defect. Note that these defects often measure how satisfied your buyers were with a transaction. We don't count more than one defect per transaction.
Automatic defect removal
Certain transaction defects received for reasons beyond a seller's control will be automatically removed from the seller's performance standards and feedback profile. For example
- The buyer did not pay for their order and an unpaid item is recorded against the buyer.
- An eBay Money Back Guarantee or PayPal Purchase Protection request is ruled in the seller's favor.
- The defect was the direct result of an eBay site issue or an eBay program error.
- eBay takes action on a buyer for activity that violates the Buying Practices policy.
- eBay or PayPal instructs you to hold a shipment or takes action to cancel the transaction.
- eBay can determine through valid tracking that the defect was the direct result of systemic delays in shipping or communication. Examples include wide-scale shipping carrier delays, items stuck in customs, or power outages due to extreme weather. These events will be listed on eBay's announcement board.
The Transaction Defect Report provides you with daily updates synced with your seller dashboard, access to defect details, and the date a defect was removed by eBay. Download your Transaction Report often!