What’s changing under the existing policy?
The current Links, logos, and video policy will be updated to reflect that email addresses, shortened URLs, non-clickable links and links to websites that do not help buyers transact safely and efficiently on eBay will no longer be allowed in listings. The updated policy goes into effect October 1 and enforcement begins that week. Enforcement will expand to more listings in the weeks following. If an email address or unapproved link is detected in a new, revised or relisted listing, it will have to be removed prior to submitting your listing. Sellers will not be required to update existing Good 'Till Cancelled listings until early 2012, but are encouraged to bring listings into compliance with the new policy now.
Preview the updated policy
Why is eBay changing this policy?
Too often, buyers are being directed off eBay to make purchases that are not protected by eBay Buyer Protection. By removing email addresses and links that eBay cannot track, we are reducing the risk that a buyer makes a purchase off eBay that is not covered by eBay Buyer Protection. Under the current policy, sellers have not always been aware of the rules and may have had a listing removed without knowing why. Under the new policy, in most cases sellers will be prevented from submitting listings containing elements that are in violation.
When will enforcement begin?
The updated policy goes into effect October 1 and enforcement begins that week. Enforcement will expand to more listings in the weeks following. To avoid any interruption in selling, especially during the holiday period, bring your listings and listing templates into compliance by October 1.
How does eBay define a "link"?
A link is any text or image (such as photos, logos, or icons) that takes a user off eBay. Non-clickable web sites are not allowed, and email addresses (clickable and non-clickable) are not allowed.
How do I make an allowable link clickable?
You can convert non-clickable links to clickable links in your item description as long as they adhere to the Links policy
. To convert non-clickable links to clickable links, use the HTML tab in your listing tool to insert the following anchor tag: <a href="link"> link </a>. Link, in both instances, should be replaced with the non-clickable url/link that is currently in your item description. Note: Payment instructions and return policy fields do not support HTML and therefore do not support links. Remove any urls/links you have in these fields.
Can I link my listing to my own website?
Yes, provided your web-site helps a buyer safely transact on eBay and is not transactional, i.e. it does not provide opportunities to make a purchase or payment.
Can I link to pages that might have rotating ads for other ecommerce sites appearing on them?
Yes, you can link to such pages provided the primary purpose of the page is to help buyers transact safely and efficiently on eBay. Occasionally, pages like this may have rotating advertising which is, of course, outside the control of the seller. Please bear in mind that eBay continually reviews links on the site. If the primary purpose of a page changes over time, we reserve the right to block any link considered unsafe for our members.
What are some things I can do to be sure my listing follows the new policy?
We recommend that you do the following:
- Include all relevant information about your item and terms of sale in the item description.
- Use eBay picture services to host any images for your listing or item description.
- Use My Messages to communicate with your buyer. All communications are tracked.
- Link only to sites that are intended to help a buyer safely complete a transaction on eBay.
- Leverage your About Me page and Stores pages to host information about you and your products that will be useful to buyers and help them make a quick purchase decision on eBay.
How can I send emails with attachments to a buyer’s My Messages inbox?
You can send attachments to other users’ My Messages inboxes with a few limitations:
- You’re only allowed to send photos in .jpg, .gif, .bmp, .png file formats
- The total message size must be less than 2MB
To send an email with an attachment to another user’s My Messages, follow these steps:
- Go to the email inbox where you receive copies of My Messages emails. (This is the email account that is associated with your eBay account.)
- Locate the email in which the buyer has requested additional pictures. You must do this from within your personal email program - not your My Messages inbox on the eBay site. It is not possible to attach pictures to an email inside My Messages.
- Respond to the email, attaching the requested images. The buyer’s reply-to email address will be a “members.ebay.com” address.
- The email will be sent to the buyer’s My Messages inbox.
Please note that your buyer won’t be able to open the attachments within My Messages. Instead, they’ll need to save the pictures to their hard drive and open them there.
Does this policy update apply to eBay Motors?
Yes. This policy update applies to eBay Motors Parts & Accessories and eBay Motors Vehicles. However, eBay Motors Vehicles listings can include email addresses due to the nature of the business.