Deliver great service to help ensure fast access to funds
Payments to some eBay sellers show as pending in their PayPal account and are unavailable for a period of time to allow for successful fulfillment.
Common reasons your funds might be pending
These are the most common reasons your funds would be unavailable for a period of time:
- You're a new seller or have limited selling history, which means you have not yet met all of the following criteria:
- It's been more than 90 days since your first successful sale
- You've made more than 25 sales transactions
- You've had more than $250 in total sales
- Your current performance has fallen below the minimum standard for all eBay sellers (Your status shows as “Below Standard” in your Seller Dashboard).
- There may be a high level of risk associated with your account or transactions.
What can I do to get my funds more quickly?
The most important thing you can do to help get your funds more quickly is ship the same day your buyer pays and follow good shipping practices. Based on your shipping method and the shipping information you provide, here's when your funds should be available:
- 3 days after we can confirm the order was delivered, if you pay for shipping and print labels on eBay. The eBay label printing service is free, your tracking information uploads automatically, and you'll get funds to help cover shipping.
- 3 days after we can confirm the order was delivered, if you ship directly using USPS, UPS or FedEx and manually enter your tracking information to My eBay.
- 7 days after your latest estimated delivery date if you don't upload tracking information but you mark the item as shipped in My eBay OR
- 21 days after the buyer pays, if you don't provide tracking information, mark the item as shipped, or the estimated delivery date can't be calculated.
Please keep in mind that it may take longer to get funds if your buyer reports a problem with the transaction.
Best practices for faster access to funds
- Achieve and maintain eBay Top-rated seller, Above Standard, or Standard status.
- Offer an Expedited shipping option (package delivered in 1-3 business days).
- Specify 1-day handling time and always ship the same day you receive the order. Remember estimated delivery time is a combination of your handling time plus the carrier's published estimated delivery time.
- Buy postage at a discount and print shipping labels on eBay—eBay label printing is a free service. Tracking information is uploaded automatically and funds for shipping will be made available.
- Ship with a carrier that offers package tracking and always upload the tracking information to eBay.
- If you choose not to use a service with tracking, make sure you mark the item as shipped in My eBay.
- Respond quickly to resolve any buyer issues.
- Follow all recommended best practices for providing great service and preventing Buyer Protection claims from being opened.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why do my funds show as pending?
The most common reasons your funds would show as pending are you have a limited selling history or you aren't meeting eBay's minimum performance standards.
How can I pay for shipping if the money from my buyer isn't available right away?
If you print labels on eBay for USPS shipping (domestic or First Class international), up to $15 of your buyer's funds will be available immediately to cover shipping costs for any order less than $50. For any order with a total cost that exceeds $50, up to 30% of the funds from you buyer will be available immediately to cover shipping costs. If you use PayPal for USPS, UPS or Canada Post, you'll need to pay for shipping when you print the label but the reimbursement will be deposited back to your PayPal account within 24 hours.
What can I do to get my funds faster?
The most important thing you can do to help get your funds faster is ship the same day your buyer pays and follow good shipping practices. Based on your shipping method and the shipping information you provide, here's when your funds should be available:
- 3 days after we can confirm the order was delivered, if you pay for shipping and print labels on eBay or if you ship directly using USPS, UPS or FedEx and manually enter your tracking information to My eBay. Note, the eBay label printing service is free, your tracking information uploads automatically, and you'll get funds to help cover shipping.
- 7 days after your latest estimated delivery date if you don't upload tracking information but you mark the item as shipped in My eBay.
How is the estimated delivery date calculated?
Your estimated delivery date is determined using a combination of your handling time plus the shipping carrier's published estimated delivery time for the service selected by your buyer. You enter your “handling time” when you list items to sell on eBay. This is how long it takes before you ship the item. “Shipping time” is based on the service that the buyer selects. For example if you specify a handling time of 2 days and you choose a UPS or USPS service from the pull-down menu on eBay with a shipping time of 2 to 5 business days, your buyer will see estimated delivery as 4 to 7 days. Learn more.
What's the longest period of time funds may show as pending and be unavailable?
If you don't provide tracking information, mark the item as shipped, or the estimated delivery date cannot be calculated, your funds could be unavailable for up to 21 days.
How can I find out the status of my payments to manage my cash flow?
If you have payments shown as pending in your PayPal account, you'll see the status of these payments in My eBay or Selling Manger, including the estimated date funds will be available and steps you can take to help get your funds faster. You can also log in to your PayPal account for up-to-date information on the status of your payments.
Funds availability as shown in My eBay:
Funds availability as shown in Seller Hub:
What is considered a limited selling history?
Sellers are considered to have a limited selling history until three conditions are met:
- It's been more than 90 days since your first successful sale
- You have more than 25 sales transactions and
- You have more than $250 in total sales.
Where can I see my selling history?
Login to my eBay and check your Seller Dashboard to see your total number of selling transactions, total sales volume, and time since you registered as a seller. If you have 10 or more detailed seller ratings (DSRs), you can also see your performance rating.
What are eBay's minimum performance standards?
To meet the minimum performance standards required to sell on eBay.com, the number of 1s and 2s you receive on your detailed seller ratings and the number of Buyer Protection cases opened can't exceed a certain percentage of your total transactions with US buyers.
How will I know if I'm not meeting eBay's minimum performance standards?
Sellers with 10 or more Detailed Seller Ratings (DSRs) over a 12 month period can see their current performance rating in their Seller Dashboard. If your rating is “Below Standard,” that means you are not meeting the minimum. Sellers who fall Below Standard also receive a monthly email notifying them of their change in status.
How will I know if I'm affected?
If your transaction is affected by this because you have a limited selling history, or you have fallen below eBay's minimum selling standard, when you use eBay's "Sell Your Item" process to list your item, you'll be notified that you are affected when you create the listing. You'll also see new information in My eBay, including the estimated date funds will be available. Additionally, you'll receive a notification from PayPal when a payment is received and the funds are in your Pending Balance in your PayPal account.
Which of my listings are affected?
All of your active or “live” listings, including Good ‘Til Cancelled listings are affected.
My dashboard says my performance rating is “Standard” so why do my payments show as pending?
It is possible to have a Standard rating or above and still have your payments show as pending because you have a limited selling history—90 days or less from your first sale, 25 or fewer sales transactions, or $250 or less in total sales.
Even if I don't have a limited selling history and my performance rating is Standard or above, could I still be subject to having my payments show as pending in my PayPal account and unavailable for a period of time?
Yes, there may be other PayPal policies that impact the availability of funds if a higher than normal level of risk is associated with your account--for example a sudden spike in eBay Buyer Protection cases, PayPal disputes or claims, unusual selling activity, items with an exceptionally high selling price, or sales in a new category or a category such as tickets, travel, or gift certificates. Learn more.
What if I improve my performance and my rating is no longer Below Standard?
eBay evaluates seller performance every 30 days. If your rating moves to Standard or Above Standard, or if you achieve eBay Top-rated seller status, your seller performance rating will no longer be a reason why your funds are unavailable.
What happens if an eBay Buyer Protection case or PayPal claim is opened during the time the payment is pending?
If an eBay Buyer Protection case, PayPal claim or PayPal dispute is opened, or a credit card chargeback is received or other reversal is initiated during the time the payment is pending, funds for that sale are unavailable until the seller resolves the issue or the case is found in the seller's favor. If the seller does not resolve the issue or is found responsible, eBay or PayPal will refund the buyer's payment.
I sell internationally and there are additional challenges to shipping such as customs delays and difficulties in tracking shipments. Will these transactions still be subject to this change?
If you are a seller registered on eBay.com or eBay.ca (either the English or French language version) this change will apply to all of your listings on these three eBay sites whether your items ship domestically or internationally. To help get your funds quicker you can upload tracking information from USPS, UPS, or FedEx. In most cases, when we can confirm delivery, funds will be available in 3 days after delivery has been confirmed. If you use an alternate carrier or when carrier tracking is not available, you can still mark your item as shipped and your funds should be available 7 days after the latest estimated delivery date. If no estimated delivery date can be calculated, funds should be available 21 days after the buyer pays.
What if my buyer leaves positive Feedback while the funds from their payment are still pending?
If your funds show as pending and are unavailable because of an insufficient selling history or a below standard performance rating, eBay buyer Feedback will not affect the availability of funds. Positive feedback is not necessarily a reliable indication of successful fulfillment because buyers often leave Feedback before they even receive the item, or not at all.
What about transactions using payment methods besides PayPal?
Only PayPal transactions are subject to this action. Payments through other methods are covered by the terms and practices of each provider.
What about items that don't require shipping such as services?
For affected sellers, funds from sales of services will be available in 21 days from when the buyer pays.
What about listings that use eBay's Classified Ad format, including digital downloads?
Sales transacted through a classified advertisement on eBay.com or eBay Classifieds are not affected.
I have more than one account with different statuses. How will my payments be affected?
Funds will be available based on the status of the eBay account from which an item is sold. All new accounts, even those created by established sellers, are subject to this action.
What about items with local pick-up?
If your buyer pre-pays for the item with PayPal and uses local pick-up for an item purchased on eBay.com or eBay.ca (either the English or French language version, but not using eBay's Classified Ad format), your funds will be available 21 days after the buyer pays.
What is the purpose of having funds show as pending and unavailable for a period of time?
The purpose is to benefit all buyers and sellers by encouraging practices that result in successful fulfillment.
TOOLS, TIPS, AND MORE
Use your Seller Dashboard to monitor your performance.
Buyers want to know. Plus, it protects you.
Find out more
We're here to help you get there
Rewarding great service with more sales.
If you want to supercharge your sales, the eBay for Business blog is a great place to start.