ebay hassle-free returns
Buy with confidence and return with ease
Returns are as easy as 1-2-3 with items that display hassle-free returns in the returns section of the listing page
*Must pay with PayPal, ship within the US, and item must be in new or unused condition. Other restrictions apply
Select the item you
want to return on your
My eBay page.
Print a shipping label.
Affix the shipping label and send to the seller within 5 days.
Send the item.
The seller is automatically notified that you're returning the item for a refund.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Does eBay hassle-free returns apply to all items listed on eBay?
No. Only items that have "hassle-free returns" in the returns section of the listing page are eligible. As a buyer, you must also meet the following requirements:
- You must pay for the item through PayPal.
- Item must be shipped to a US address.
- You must return the item in unused or new condition within the seller return timeframe.
- You must request a full refund, not a partial refund.
- You must not have opened an eBay Buyer Protection case or PayPal Purchase Protection case regarding the purchase or filed a chargeback on the credit card associated with your PayPal account.
- You have not been suspended from the eBay hassle-free returns process.
For more information, click here.
Can I return items that I've decided I don't want or need?
With eBay hassle-free returns, you can return an item in the condition it was received if you change your mind. Your refund might be reduced by restocking fees or return shipping costs if specified by the seller at the time of purchase. Click here to see more details.
How do I return an item using eBay hassle-free returns?
- To start a return, find the item in the Purchase history section of My eBay. Select Return this item and click View returns details from the More actions drop-down menu.
- Select the reason for the return. You'll see your anticipated refund amount.
- Print a return shipping label and packing slip.
- Pack the item carefully. Include the packing slip, affix the shipping label, and send the item back to the seller within 5 business days of starting the return. You can drop the package off at the post office or schedule a pickup with the US Postal Service.
- You can track the status of the returned item in the Purchase history section of My eBay. The seller will issue your refund after receiving the returned item.
Who pays for return shipping?
It depends on the reason for the return and the seller's return policy. If the item is not as described, then the seller will pay for return shipping. In most other cases, you will pay for return shipping and any restocking fees if specified in the seller's return policy. If you're responsible for return shipping charges, we'll charge your PayPal account if the item is shipped with an eBay label. For more details, including approximate shipping costs, click here.
When will I receive my refund?
In most cases, the seller will issue your refund within 5 business days after receiving the item. For more details, click here.
What if the seller does not give me a refund?
If it has been 5 business days since the return was received by the seller and no refund has been issued, contact the seller directly. If that does not resolve the issue, you can open an eBay Buyer Protection case. Click here to see how.
Can I return an item if I've used it?
You must return an item in the same condition as it was received. You must also include, in the same condition as it was received:
- All packaging such as boxes, bags, and tags
- Accessories such as cords and remotes
- Certificates, manuals, and warranty cards
- "Free gifts" or bonus items
- All items included in a bundle
For more details on specific item categories, click here.
What if I missed the seller's return timeframe?
If it's too late to start a return, it's up to the seller to decide whether or not he or she will accept a late return. Contact the seller for more information. (Use Messages in My eBay when contacting the seller to keep a record of your conversation.) For more details on returns, click here.
What if I started a return on time but did not ship the item on time?
If 5 business days have passed since you started a return and you haven't sent the item yet, you cannot initiate a return through hassle-free returns. Contact the seller to see whether he or she is still willing to accept your return. (Use Messages in My eBay when contacting the seller to keep a record of your conversation.) For more details on returns, click here.
When should I use the eBay hassle-free returns process versus opening an eBay Buyer Protection case?
In most cases, the eBay hassle-free returns process is the best way to quickly and easily return an item to a seller. After starting a return, you may not be able to open an eBay Buyer Protection case right away. This is to allow extra time for a return to be delivered or for a seller to issue a refund. If your returned item has been delivered for more than 6 days to the seller's address and you have still not received your refund, you'll be able to open an eBay Buyer Protection case.
To open an eBay Buyer Protection case:
- From the Purchase history section of My eBay, find the returned item.
- Click View return details from the More actions drop-down menu.
- Click the Open a case button.
You have 10 business days to open an eBay Buyer Protection case after the seller's timeframe to issue a refund (6 business days) has passed.
For more details click here.
What if I want to exchange the item?
Exchanges are not supported through hassle-free returns at this time, but you can message the seller via My eBay and work out the details directly.
I received my item and need a replacement. What should I do?
If the seller specified in his or her listing that he or she offers replacements, you can request one the same way you would a refund through My eBay. Ship the original item back to the seller within 5 business days. The seller will also ship the replacement item with 5 business days.
I see an item from an international seller that I want to purchase. Can I use eBay hassle-free returns if needed?
International returns cannot be handled through hassle-free returns at this time. Instead, follow the returns policy listed in the seller's product description.
Can I contact the seller first before returning the item?
The easiest way to initiate a return is through the hassle-free returns process via My eBay. However, you can message your seller with any questions or if you are unsure of making the return.
Can I return more than 1 item in a single return?
You may only return multiple items if you purchased a multi-quantity item from the same transaction. If not, then you must initiate a return for each item individually.