The eBay vault
TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR VAULT SERVICES
The eBay Vault (“Vault”) makes secure storage and related services (collectively, the “Vault Services”) available for certain items listed on eBay.com and authenticated through eBay’s Authenticity Guarantee program. Your use of the Vault is subject to the following Terms and Conditions (the “Terms”).
eBay may amend these Terms at any time by posting the amended terms on www.eBay.com. eBay’s right to amend the Terms includes the right to modify, add to, or remove terms. Except as stated otherwise in our User Agreement or elsewhere, all amended terms shall go into effect upon fourteen (14) days’ notice (the “Notice Period”). New terms that cover new services, expanded eligibility, or new legal requirements will be effective immediately with no notice required. Your continued use of the Vault Services following the Notice Period amounts to acceptance of the amended terms.
Only select items listed on eBay.com are eligible for Vault Services at this time (each, an “Eligible Item”). Eligible Items must satisfy all of the following conditions:
- Item is a single, graded trading card listed on eBay.com in either the Collectible Card Games or Sports Trading Cards category.
- The item listing either bears the blue “eBay Vault” badge (indicating the item is already in the eBay Vault) or the eBay Vault is included as an available additional service on the listing page.
- Item is sold for $750 or more, exclusive of tax and shipping.
- Item must pass an authenticity inspection via eBay’s Authenticity Guarantee program for Trading Cards.
Notwithstanding the above, items that include embedded relics (e.g., uniform patches) or after-market signatures are not eligible for Vault Services.
eBay reserves the right at any time, in its sole discretion, to alter or amend the requirements for Eligible Items.
New terms that cover new services
The Vault Services are currently available only for buyers and sellers with a registered address in the United States who have completed the onboarding process for the eBay Vault and are not otherwise in violation of these Terms or eBay’s Policies (“ Eligible Users”).
- Item Eligibility
- Description of the Vault Services
Secure Storage Services
- An item must be sent through eBay’s Authenticity Guarantee program and pass the authenticity inspection to qualify as an Eligible Item for the Vault Services.
- Items that do not qualify as Eligible Items will be returned to the seller’s address of record and the buyer will be issued a refund to their original form of payment under eBay Money Back Guarantee. If the buyer pays the seller directly via an off-eBay form of payment, eBay Money Back Guarantee will not apply, and eBay will be unable to facilitate a refund.
- By sending an Eligible Item to the eBay Vault, you appoint eBay as your agent. This includes authorization to send an Eligible Item from eBay’s or its partner’s facilities to the eBay Vault.
- For Eligible Items in the eBay Vault held by a consigner, eBay reserves the right to require the seller to provide information about the consignee that may include, but is not limited to, their name, address, date of birth, and information about how the item was acquired.
- eBay and/or its partners will use industry standard measures to ensure the physical integrity and security of Eligible Items purchased by Eligible Users who designate the eBay Vault as the shipping destination. Once ingested into the eBay Vault, such Eligible Item shall be considered a “Vaulted Item” so long as the Eligible Item remains in the Vault.
Imaging and Listing Services
- By directing an Eligible Item to the eBay Vault, you agree to allow eBay or its partner(s) to image (e.g., photograph) the item or otherwise create a high-resolution digital image (the “Digital Image”).
- eBay will make the Digital Image available in your Digital Collection for inspection. By using the Vault Services, you waive all further rights of inspection.
- As part of the Vault Services, eBay will create a detailed record that incorporates the Digital Image and includes a preset title, description, and item specifics that will be used to populate an item listing if you opt to list your Vaulted Item for sale on eBay (the “Listing Services”). The resulting item title, description, and item specifics cannot be modified on the listing, but you will be responsible for designating the price and buying format for your item.
- Listing Services will be available only so long as an Eligible Item is stored in the eBay Vault.
- If you successfully dispute a credit card charge for an item you purchased and stored in the eBay Vault and receive any refund, that item will be blocked from sale from the eBay Vault and no Listing Services will be provided.
- Eligible Users may opt to withdraw an Eligible Item from the eBay Vault at any time following ingestion.
- By withdrawing an Eligible Item, you consent to having eBay or its partners physically withdraw, package, and ship your item using industry standard methods for secure handling, packaging, and shipping.
Withdrawal may be delayed or prohibited in the following circumstances:
- Where a seller’s account or a particular item is flagged for potential risk or misconduct;
- After a buyer or current owner of an item in the eBay Vault has used more than three (3) unique shipping addresses within a month or five (5) unique addresses in a year when purchasing or withdrawing an item from the eBay Vault; or
- Subject to a court order.
- Withdrawals of items sold for more than $100,000 must be coordinated directly with eBay.
- eBay will provide fulfillment services to Eligible Users who sell their Eligible Item from the eBay Vault on eBay.
- By selling from the eBay Vault, you agree to have eBay act as your agent. This includes authorization to send an Eligible Item from the eBay Vault to the buyer if the item is fulfilled from the eBay Vault.
- By selling from the eBay Vault, you consent to having eBay or its partners physically withdraw, package, and ship your item using industry standard methods for secure handling, packaging, and shipping.
Service Updates and Discontinuation
eBay has the right to alter, amend, replace, suspend temporarily, and/or discontinue permanently, the Vault Services, features, and/or any functionality offered as part of the Vault Services at any time, in eBay’s sole discretion, upon prior notice to you.
Registration and onboarding for the eBay Vault is free, but use of the Vault Services will incur certain fees (“Vault Fees”), which are detailed on the eBay Vault fee page. You are liable for all Vault Fees associated with your use of the Vault Services.
Vault Fees may include recurring fees for your use of the Secure Storage Services (“Secure Storage Fees ”). These Secure Storage Fees are payable on the first day of each month in which you are using the Vault Services, unless agreed otherwise in writing. eBay may collect the Vault Secure Storage Fees as follows:
- If you are not registered as a seller, you must place a valid payment method on file with eBay to use Vault Services. By using Vault Services, you accept these Terms and Conditions, and authorize eBay to collect any fees owed for your use of the Vault Services from your payment method held on file.
eBay reserves the right to all available remedies under the law for unpaid fees, including, to the extent permissible by law, the right to deduct any overdue fees from the value of the Eligible Item upon sale from the eBay Vault and remit payment to the seller net any overdue fees. For items in the eBay Vault where the overdue fees are equal to or greater than the lower of its purchase price on eBay or its value according to the eBay Price Guide, eBay reserves the right to take legal and physical ownership of the item on thirty (30) days’ prior written notice, remove the item from the Digital Collection affiliated with the account, and remove the item from the eBay Vault. Full payment within the thirty (30) day notice period is required to avoid a loss of ownership.
eBay reserves the right to institute, alter, or amend fees or costs associated with the Vault Services at any time, at eBay’s sole discretion, subject to the notice requirements described in these Terms. Your continued use of the Vault Services after the notice period amounts to acceptance of the new fees and/or costs.
Insurance and Warranty Disclaimer
- eBay will maintain insurance, at its own expense, covering risks of physical loss or damage to Vaulted Items while stored in the eBay Vault (e.g., from fire and earthquake/earth movement), subject to usual and standard insurance conditions and exclusions (each covered loss, an “Insured Loss ”). Except as expressly provided for as an Insured Loss under these Terms, eBay will not be liable for any loss or damage unless such loss or damage results from eBay or its partner’s negligence or willful misconduct.
- No unforeseeable events (i.e., force majeure) outside of eBay or its partner’s control will be covered unless expressly provided for in these Terms.
- Insured Losses will be measured by the price the user paid for the Eligible Item on eBay.
- Insurance coverage for Vaulted Items will commence once the item has arrived at the eBay Vault and will remain in full force until the item has been withdrawn or fulfilled from the eBay Vault.
- In the event of an Insured Loss, owners of items in the eBay Vault will be compensated in line with the insurance principles outlined above and eBay’s total liability will be limited to the amount of the insurance proceeds.
- Any claim for loss will only be paid out upon item owner’s full cooperation with the underlying insurance claim, including proof of actual damages. Any claim made without full cooperation will not be paid.
eBay’s collection of personal information in connection with the Vault Services is governed by the User Privacy Notice that applies to your use of eBay’s Services, as defined in the eBay User Agreement. By using the Vault Services, you direct eBay to provide order information to its affiliates, service providers, and other third-parties (such as shipping carriers and revenue authorities) as necessary to perform the Vault Services.
- Mandatory Termination. eBay may terminate these Terms with immediate effect if a governmental authority requires us to do so to comply with anti-money laundering or counter-terrorism financing obligations or we have reasonable grounds to believe you are carrying out a prohibited or illegal activity (including, but not limited to, financial crimes such as fraud, bribery, corruption, money laundering, or sanctions violations). In such scenarios, eBay may be prohibited by law from returning any items currently held in the eBay Vault to you.
- Applicability of eBay’s Money Back Guarantee, Final Sale, and Items Lost or Damaged in Transit. Please note that all items in the eBay Vault are final sale. If a listing shows a seller return window but you opt to send your item to the eBay Vault, you acknowledge and agree that the item is final sale . If you pay through an off-eBay form of payment, eBay Money Back Guarantee will not apply, and eBay will be unable to facilitate a refund. Learn more about final sale and eBay Money Back Guarantee, Withdrawal of an item you have stored in the eBay vault is not covered by eBay Money Back Guarantee. However, if your item is lost or damaged in transit, please contact us. Learn more here.
- Tax Responsibilities. Eligible Users of the eBay Vault are responsible for applicable use taxes upon the withdrawal of an Eligible Item from the eBay Vault. Buyers of an Eligible Item from the eBay Vault are responsible for applicable sales taxes if the card is fulfilled from the eBay Vault and shipped to the Buyer. In any jurisdiction where eBay has an obligation to collect sales taxes on the sale of items stored in the eBay Vault that are shipped to the Buyer, eBay may collect such sales taxes from the Buyer via the payment method on file pursuant to the eBay.com User Agreement, or may invoice the user if the item was purchased using an off-eBay form of payment. Please consult your own tax, legal, and accounting advisors for tax advice.
- Arbitration with IP Rights Holders. In the case of any claims related to the infringement of intellectual property (“ IP”) including, but not limited to, trademark or copyright claims brought by an IP rights owner against a user of the eBay Vault in connection with cards stored by the user in the eBay Vault, the user of the Vault Services hereby consents to binding arbitration in the United States in connection with the IP claims without participation by eBay. eBay will hold the card at issue in the Vault until such dispute is resolved.
The following Vault Services are provided by eBay Inc. (“eBay”) subject to the Terms herein: