Determining shipping costs
Find out how much it will cost to get your item to its buyer. It's easy as 1-2-3.
Select your packaging. eBay offers several convenient, free and low-cost options:
- Purchase eBay-branded shipping supplies to give your packages a professional look at a great price. Use these for any carrier!
- Get free supplies from the US Postal Service, including eBay co-branded supplies, or get free supplies from UPS and FedEx.
- FYI: One carrier won't let you ship using another carrier's packaging. For example, don't use a FedEx box if you're shipping via UPS.
Prepack and weigh your item.
- Pack your item as if you were ready to ship it, but don't completely seal it yet so you can make any adjustments before sending it out.
- Weigh it, and be sure to measure its dimensional weight to capture its true cost.
Click to enlarge
What is handling time?
Handling time is the number of business days between when you receive payment for an item and when that package is scanned by your shipping carrier.
Buyers like getting their items fast, so the sooner you ship, the happier they'll be.
How to set your same-day handling cut-off time
You're in control of your business. If you choose to offer same-day handling, you can set your own order cut-off time for each business day and automatically list that information for buyers. Learn how to offer same-day handling.
Define the days you work and your same-day handling cut-off times for each business day with the working days calendar tool.
Handling time is measured in business days—weekends and holidays don't count.
The handling-time clock begins when you receive payment from your buyer and ends when your carrier scans the package.
Each day ends at 11:59:59pm. In the case of 1-day handling, if an item is purchased on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday Pacific Time, it needs to have an acceptance scan by Monday at 11:59:59pm PT.
Handling time is the commitment you make to get your package to buyers on time. It sets expectations and sets your listings apart from those with longer handling times. Be sure to set one you know you can meet.
Sellers have the power to set their own handling time, and meeting or beating it is a chance to offer great customer service and maintain on-time shipping performance.
Offering and delivering same-day or one-day handling can help qualify you for a Top Rated Plus discount and seal—when you offer a 30-day or longer money-back return policy.
- Where can I designate my handling time when listing an item on mobile?
To find and change your handling time through the eBay mobile app, first go to your Preferences screen, then select Handling Time.
- Can I adjust my handling time after I list an item?
Once you've listed an item, you can only adjust your handling time if no bids or orders were placed on the item. If a bid or order has been placed, you'll no longer be able to adjust your handling time.
- When I use eBay labels, it uploads my tracking for me. Does this meet my handling time?
While uploading tracking helps eBay calculate your on-time shipping metric, it's still up to you to make sure your package is scanned by your carrier within your stated handling time. Tracking alone does not meet your handling time commitment.
- If I'm running late and can't meet my handling time, what should I do?
If you don't think you're going to meet your stated handling time, consider using an expedited shipping service to make sure your buyer still receives the item within the estimated delivery date.
- When can I expect my carrier to scan my package if I drop it off after hours?
There's no guarantee that, just because you've dropped off your package at your shipping carrier's office before 11:59:59 pm PT, it will be scanned before that time. That's why it's important to check your carrier's business hours and drop off your package while they're open, so it can be scanned before 11:59:59 pm PT that day.
- Why am I responsible for handling time when I don't control when packages are scanned?
We hold our sellers accountable for the aspects of the shipping process you can control: using the shipping service specified in your listing, shipping within the stated handling time, and uploading tracking.
Your shipper's acceptance scan is just one of three checkpoints we use to determine whether your item was shipped or delivered on time. You need just one to satisfy your on-time shipping requirement:
- Acceptance scan within your stated handling time or
- Delivery confirmation by estimated delivery date or
- Buyer response that item was delivered by the estimated delivery date
When we don't have any of the above, we check to see if delivery confirmation shows the item was delivered late or if the buyer confirms that item was delivered late.
If we have no response from the buyer and no tracking information, the transaction will not be included in the on-time shipping calculation and won't be considered on-time or late.
- How does handling time impact my seller standards?
eBay takes into account your late shipment rate for standards. You can see your late shipment rate in your Seller Dashboard.