overview | Buyer protection
PayPal Buyer Protection
PayPal offers more than just
quick checkout on eBay. We also help keep your identity
and financial info secure. Plus, with PayPal Buyer
Protection, we cover all your eligible eBay items for
the full purchase
price-with no limits and at no
additional cost. So go ahead, shop with confidence.
PayPal is with you
every step of the way.
Eligible transactions are
coveredPayPal protects you when you don't receive
an eBay item you've bought, or if an item you've
received is significantly different than it was
To qualify for PayPal Buyer
Protection, you must meet all of these requirements:
- Use PayPal to purchase an eligible item on eBay.
- Pay for the full amount of the item with one payment. Items purchased with multiple payments-like a deposit followed by a final payment-are not eligible.
- Send the payment to the seller through:
- The eBay "Pay Now" button, or
- The eBay invoice, or
- The "Send Money" tab on your PayPal account overview page by selecting "Pay for eBay Items" and entering your eBay User ID and the eBay item number.
- Open a Dispute within 45 days of the date you sent the payment-then follow the online dispute resolution process.
- Keep your PayPal account in good standing.
How do I know if I'm purchasing
an eligible item on eBay?Look for the buyer
protection message in the eBay listing in the right hand
column under the "Buy Safely" banner. If you see this
message, and you meet the eligibility requirements, then
your purchase is covered by PayPal Buyer Protection. You
can also view this message after you complete your
purchase by logging in to your eBay account, going to
"My eBay" and looking at the listing. If the listing
does not include the buyer protection message, then it
is not eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection.
buyer protection message will look like this on
How much coverage do I get with
PayPal Buyer Protection? If you see the eBay.com
buyer protection message, and if PayPal finds in your
favor on your Claim, PayPal will reimburse you for the
full purchase price of the item and original shipping
costs-with no cap on coverage. The amount of coverage
varies based on the eBay website where the purchase is
PayPal will not reimburse you for the
return shipping costs that you incur to return a
Significantly Not as Described item to the seller or
other party PayPal specifies. If the seller presents
evidence that they delivered the goods to your address,
PayPal may find in favor of the seller even if you did
not receive the goods.