|Search Engine Optimization Do's & Don'ts
- Identify primary keywords and consistently use them throughout your SEO efforts
- Write content on all available pages, such as listing descriptions, About Me pages, Custom pages and Reviews & Guides
- Use catalogs and provide unique, supplementary content
- Use formatting (H1 headers, bold, font size) to emphasize certain words or phrases
- Pay particular attention to keywords in URL structures
- Provide meta tags (page titles, meta descriptions and meta keywords)
- Use Alt tags whenever you have images
- Create links - this includes links in content, custom categories, etc.
- Encourage external linking and bookmarking
- Submit your site and pages to search engines when possible
- Don’t duplicate content
- Don’t hide text on a page or embed all text into graphics or images
- Avoid splash pages with Flash and heavy graphic introductions. Keep your most valuable content upfront and in text.
- Don’t include keywords in your meta tags that are not present in your content
- Avoid spamming or unnaturally using the same keywords in your meta tags or content
- Don’t use the same title tags across all pages
- Don’t use redirects as much as possible. If you have to use one, use a 301 permanent redirect
- Avoid link farms, or sites that simply link to numerous other sites, as most search engines interpret them as spam.
- Avoid frames as they’re too complex for crawlers and too cumbersome to index
Take advantage of other online resources available, and learn more about SEO best practices: