Fast 'N Free frequently asked questions
What is eBay Fast 'N Free?
eBay Fast 'N Free tells buyers that a specific item ships free and will likely arrive within 4 business days.
How will eBay Fast 'N Free benefit sellers?
eBay Fast 'N Free will help increase your sales by giving buyers a more accurate estimated delivery date and reinforcing the value of your great service. Converting to Fast 'N Free can increase your sales by up to 11%*.
When will the eBay Fast 'N Free logo appear on a listing?
The eBay Fast 'N Free logo appears on listings when the following conditions are met:
- Both the buyer and the item are within the 48 contiguous states.
- The item offers a free shipping service
- Based on seller and carrier performance, eBay can estimate that the item will deliver within 4 business days.
How does eBay Fast 'N Free work and how is it different from the way delivery time is estimated for all other listings?
Estimated delivery is shown on eBay today as a range of days based on stated handling time plus the carrier's published service delivery times. This often distorts the true picture of delivery. For example, if your stated handling time is one day and you use Economy Shipping, the delivery estimate appears to your buyer as 2-14 days—even if your shipments are consistently delivered in 3 days.
The new way to estimate delivery powering eBay Fast 'N Free gives buyers a personalized delivery date based on historical delivery times to the buyer's area plus other factors, which is more accurate and highlights your fast service. In this example, if your economy shipments are consistently delivered in 3 days to buyers in a particular area, instead of showing a range of 2-14 days your qualified listings would have the Fast 'N Free logo and show an estimated date of 3 days for buyers in that area.
Do I need to make any changes to my listings to get the eBay Fast 'N Free logo to appear?
You can increase your chances of having the logo appear on your listings by following all the usual best practices:
- Reduce your handling time to 1-day or shorter and offer free expedited shipping: Free expedited shipping and 1-day or shorter handling time also guarantees the Fast 'N Free logo will be seen on your listing by all US buyers.
- If free expedited shipping isn't an option for all your listings, add free shipping and 1-day or shorter handling time and the fastest possible shipping method (e.g. First Class Mail does better than other standard shipping services). When you offer free shipping, the Fast 'N Free logo will appear if the item can be predicted to arrive within 4 business days based on the item location, the buyer's location, the shipping services selected, the seller's shipping history, your carrier's track record for delivery to the buyer's zip code, seasonality, holidays, order cut off times and other factors. Delivery times may vary especially during peak periods. An item can't qualify for Fast 'N Free, unless you offer free shipping. Plus, items that offer free shipping convert better than the ones that don't.
If my listing qualifies, where will the eBay Fast 'N Free logo appear?
eBay Fast 'N Free appears on the View Item page and throughout the checkout flow.
How is the personalized delivery date calculated?
The estimated delivery date is calculated using a number of factors including historical seller performance, the proximity of the buyer to the item, the historical performance of the shipping carrier, seasonality, and other factors.
What if the buyer's payment doesn't clear and I can't ship right away?
As always, a seller should ship the item only after the buyer's payment has cleared. The buyer will be informed in the flow that the stated delivery date is dependent on cleared payment and other factors.
What happens if the delivery within 4 days can't be estimated with a high degree of confidence using the new method?
In any case where a delivery date within 4-days cannot be calculated or cannot be calculated with a high degree of confidence, the eBay Fast 'N Free logo will not appear.
What are some of the conditions that could prevent the new delivery calculation?
A number of factors could prevent this calculation from being applied, for example: the buyer's zip code is unknown or the seller doesn't have enough of a shipping track record for eBay to evaluate historical performance with a high degree of confidence.
What is considered a sufficient number of transactions to evaluate a seller's historical performance?
There's no exact number of transactions required to evaluate a seller's historical performance and it may also vary from one transaction to another depending on a variety of other circumstances associated with a specific transaction such as the buyer's location.
What if I don't offer free shipping but my listing is calculated to be delivered within 4 business days?
If delivery within 4 days can be estimated with a high level of confidence but the listing does not offer free shipping, the personalized delivery date calculated in this new way will appear but the eBay Fast 'N Free logo will not.
Could some buyers see the eBay Fast 'N Free logo on one of my listings and other buyers not see it on the same listing?
Yes, some buyers could see the logo and others may not because estimated delivery for a given item is personalized for the buyer based on their location and other factors.
Could some buyers see the more precise estimated delivery and other buyers see the traditional delivery estimate as a range of days?
Yes, buyers in different locations could see a different delivery estimate for the same listing—either a different number of days or as the traditional range of days because the delivery estimate is personalized for the buyer based on their location and other factors.
Does the seller pay for the eBay Fast 'N Free logo?
No, the eBay Fast 'N Free logo is free for qualified listings.
What if the buyer leaves me a low detailed seller rating (DSR) for ship time because the package didn't arrive within the Fast 'N Free estimated ship time?
If the buyer leaves a ship time DSR lower than 5 it will be converted automatically to 5-stars if the item is delivered on or before the last day of the traditional window (your stated handling time plus carrier's published timeframe). If the item arrives after the last day of the traditional window, the lower DSR will remain.
If the item doesn't arrive by the shorter estimated delivery date can the buyer open an item not received claim?
- A buyer can't open an eBay Buyer Protection case for item not received until after the last day of the shorter estimated delivery.
- If Delivery Confirmation or Tracking information is not available, a buyer can't open an item not received case until 7 days after they have paid.
If a buyer opens an item not received case, as always you'll have 7 days to up-load tracking information and correspond with the buyer to resolve the issue before the case can be escalated to Customer Support for mediation.
Will eBay Fast 'N Free appear on eBay Motors?
eBay Fast 'N Free will only be used for listings on the Parts and Accessories Category of eBay Motors.
What happens if there's a seasonal storm or natural disaster that affects the item delivery date?
eBay customarily asks buyers to be more patient and understanding of the extenuating circumstances for sellers in the affected areas. As always, buyers are encouraged to communicate directly with sellers to work things out.