Business Policies update
Updated July 20, 2012
Availability of the new business policies functionality, originally announced in the 2012 Spring Seller Update, has been postponed. We apologize for any inconvenience. We’ll let you know when this functionality is available.
Apply shipping, return and payment policies to your listings with just a few clicks
Streamline new listing creation and updates to existing listings. Manage your own custom settings for shipping, returns and payment information from one central location, rather than specifying the information separately on each of your listings. Use the new business policies functionality, coming soon to My eBay and most eBay listing tools, to create this information once and apply it to all applicable listings.
When the tool becomes available, a few sellers will be invited to opt in to a new way to create and manage their own custom business policies – payment, shipping, and return policies – and apply them to their listings quickly and easily. This new functionality will be extended to all sellers at a later date.
- Use business policies to save time and reduce errors—define policies once and reuse them multiple times. Add the information to your listings with just a few clicks.
- Set policies that you’ll use most often as your default, and create different policies to apply to different types of listings as you list. For example, if you’re a Top-rated seller, you can create “Top-rated” service policies for shipping, returns and payment with the options needed to qualify your listings under the new requirements for the 20% final value fee discount. Then apply those policies to the listings where you want to offer those services.
- Update your shipping, return and payment information in one central location without having to update the information for each listing. For example, if you choose to change your shipping details for certain listings, simply update the relevant shipping policy and all linked listings will automatically update.
- Use business policies through My eBay, most eBay listing tools, and some participating third party tools.
Opt in to use business policies once they are available to you in My eBay > Selling, Selling Manager or Selling Manager Pro. You will see a business policies banner appear in My eBay > Selling, Selling Manager or Selling Manager Pro. The banner will provide a link to all of the necessary information about using business policies. Once you click on “Get Details,” you’ll see a link to opt in to business policies.
- Follow the steps below to get started with business policies.
- After you start using business policies, send us your feedback by clicking the Send feedback link on the Manage business policies page under My eBay > Account. Your suggestions will help us determine additional improvements and enhancements.
Getting started with business policies
- Once you opt in to business policies, review the default set of business policies for shipping, return and payment information automatically created for you based on your current active, scheduled and ended listings. We will have already assigned a default policy for payment, shipping and returns based on the policy that you have used most in your listing history, as well as listing templates. You can change the default policies at any time from the Manage business policies page within My eBay > Account.
List using your business policies
- No live listings will be affected when you opt-in to business policies. You’ll always be able to approve which policy is applied to a listing before the listing goes live.
- When you list an item, your default policy will be pre-selected and you can choose to list using the default, choose another existing policy, or create a new policy as needed.
Managing your business policies
Use the central Manage business policies page in My eBay > Account > Business policies to:
- Create a new policy from scratch
- Create a copy of an existing policy
- Edit existing policies
- Change your default policies
- Delete a policy, if there are no live listings associated with that policy
- Reassign listings to a different policy
Try to keep to a limited number of policies so that it’s easier to maintain them. Periodically review your existing policies and consolidate them, if possible, to keep listing quick and easy.
Click the Help link from the business policies page for tips on how to create, update and manage your policies.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are business policies?
Business policies are your own custom settings for shipping, return and payment information that can be managed from one central location to save you time when creating and updating listings. You can create multiple policies for payment, shipping, and return and select the business policies you want to apply to a particular listing, or listings, as you list with just a few clicks.
What specific policies can I manage?
You can use business policies to specify information for payments, shipping and returns. You can include the following details:
- Accepted payment methods
- PayPal address
- Additional checkout/payment instructions
- Payment policy for vehicles listings
- Domestic shipping type
- Shipping services
- Shipping cost
- International shipping type
- International ship-to locations
- International shipping services
- International shipping cost
- Handling time
- Reason for extended handling time
- Apply domestic rate table option
- Exclude ship-to location
- Domestic shipping discounts
- International shipping discounts
- Shipping policy for vehicles listings
- Whether returns are accepted or not
- Timeframe (14 day, 30 day, etc.)
- Refund method
- Whether you or the buyer pays return shipping
- Restocking fee, for sellers who are opted in to the new managed return process on eBay
Can I use business policies to apply different policies to different listings?
Yes, you can define as many variations of your shipping, return and payment policies as you need and save them as different business policies. At the time of listing, you can choose the policies that apply to that particular listing. You may use different combinations of payment, shipping and return information on each of your listings.
How will I know when I can opt in to business policies?
You will see a business policies banner appear in My eBay > Selling, Selling Manager or Selling Manager Pro. The banner will provide you with a link for more details on business policies. Once you click on “Get details” you will see a link to opt in. You can opt in at any time once this functionality is available to you.
Am I required to use business policies?
Using business policies is optional for now. You can choose to opt out of business policies from the manage business policies page within My eBay > Account. We’d appreciate your feedback about why you’re opting out, so we can make them better for when they become the standard way of specifying this information on your listings. In the near future, business policies will be the standard way to specify this information in your listings.
Where do I go to find and manage my business policies?
Once you opt in, to see your business policies, go to My eBay > Account > Business policies. You will be able to select from your automatically generated set of default business policies or add new ones as needed when you go through the listing process.
Will business policies be available in all selling tools?
Business policies will be available in the following selling tools and on-site listing flows:
- Sell Your Item form
- Revise Your Item form
- All bulk listing management flows
- Turbo Lister
- File Exchange
- Some participating third party selling applications. Please contact your third party application provider for more information
Business policies feature will not be used within the following on-site listing methods:
- Simple listing form
- New listing form
What can I do to help improve the business policies functionality?
eBay is introducing business policies to help you better manage your listings. After you start using business policies, send us your feedback by clicking the Send feedback link on the business policies page under My eBay > Account. Your suggestions will help us determine additional improvements and enhancements.