Why do my funds show as pending in my PayPal account?
Access to funds from buyer payments may be delayed for specific transactions because the buyer has indicated a problem with the transaction.
- If the buyer indicates that the item was not received and the estimated delivery date has already passed, funds will be unavailable for up to 14 days after the buyer indicates a problem if no tracking information was uploaded to eBay. If tracking information is uploaded to eBay, funds could be available as early as three days after eBay can confirm delivery.
- If funds from your buyer payments are already being delayed for another reason—for example, because you are still establishing your selling track record or because your performance rating is below standard—if a buyer reports a problem on a particular transaction, funds for that transaction may be delayed for up to 14 days.
- If your buyer reports that the item was not as described, reach out to the buyer promptly to resolve the issue. If you are able to resolve your buyer's concerns, and the buyer doesn't file an eBay Buyer Protection claim, then your funds will generally be available within 14 days after the problem was reported. If you issue a refund, funds from the transaction will be available toward the refund.
How can I pay for shipping if the money from my buyer isn't available right away?
If you print labels on eBay for USPS shipping (domestic or First Class international), up to $15 of your buyer's funds will be available immediately to cover shipping costs for any order less than $50. When the total order cost exceeds $50, up to 30% of your buyer’s funds will be available immediately to cover shipping costs. If you use PayPal
label printing and select USPS postage, you'll need to pay for shipping when you print the label, but we’ll deposit the reimbursement back to your PayPal account within 24 hours. Funds from your buyer will not be made available in advance, to cover shipping costs, for items sent through UPS or Canada Post.
How can I find out the status of my payments?
If you have payments shown as pending in your PayPal account, you'll see the status of these payments in My eBay or Selling Manager, including the estimated date that the funds will be available and steps you can take to help get your funds faster. You can also log in to your PayPal account for up-to-date information on the status of your payments.
Funds availability as shown in My eBay:
Funds availability as shown in Selling Manager or Selling Manager Pro:
How will I be notified when funds from my payments are delayed because of a buyer reported problem?
PayPal will notify you when a payment is received and the funds are in pending status in your PayPal account.
What happens if an eBay Buyer Protection case or PayPal claim is opened?
If any reversals are initiated—for example, an eBay Buyer Protection case, PayPal claim or dispute, or credit card chargeback—funds from the sale are unavailable until either the seller resolves the issue or the case is found in the seller's favor. If the seller does not resolve the issue or is found responsible, eBay or PayPal will refund the buyer's payment.
Does this policy apply to international sales?
This policy applies to sellers who have registered on eBay.com or eBay.ca (either the English or French language version), whether your items ship domestically or internationally.
If my buyer leaves positive feedback, will my funds be available?
No, positive feedback is not necessarily a reliable indication of successful fulfillment because buyers often leave feedback before they even receive the item, or do not leave feedback at all.
How does this policy work with items that don't require shipping, such as services?
Funds from sales of services that are delayed because of a buyer indicated problem with the transaction will generally be available 14 days after the buyer indicates the problem. Note this could be an additional 14 days for that specific transaction if funds from your buyer payments are already subject to delays for another reason.
What about items with local pickup?
If your buyer pays for the item using PayPal and uses local pickup for an item purchased on eBay.com or eBay.ca (either the English or French language version) but not using eBay's Classified Ad format, and indicates a problem with the item, your funds will be unavailable for up to 14 days after the buyer indicates a problem. Note this could be an additional 14 days for that specific transaction if funds from your buyer payments are already subject to delays for another reason.
What about listings that use eBay's Classified Ad format, including digital downloads?
Sales transacted through a classified advertisement on eBay.com or eBay Classifieds are not affected.
What about transactions using payment methods besides PayPal?
Only PayPal transactions are subject to this action. Payments through other methods are covered by the terms and practices of each provider.
Are there other reasons my funds might be delayed?
Your funds may also be delayed when a higher than normal level of risk is associated with your selling activity, you are still establishing your selling track record, or you have a below standard seller performance rating.
Situations of higher than normal risk include:
- a seller was reinstated following an account restriction or suspension
- an item sold in high-risk categories where the seller has no recent experience selling in that category
- an item sold for a price that is significantly higher than the average sale price of items previously sold by that seller
- a seller adds a new PayPal account to their eBay account
- a seller has recent unusual account activity indicating risk such as significant changes in listing activity or buyer dissatisfaction
You could still be subject to having funds show as pending for a period of time if the buyer has opened an eBay Buyer Protection case for the transaction.
There may be PayPal policies that also impact the availability of funds if a higher than normal level of risk is associated with your account—for example a sudden spike in eBay Buyer Protection cases, PayPal disputes or claims, unusual selling activity, items with an exceptionally high selling price, or sales in a new category or a category such as tickets, travel, or gift certificates.
In all these cases, a buyer report of an item not received or an item not described may trigger an additional delay of up to 14 days for that specific transaction.
What happens to the funds during the period of delayed availability?
All delayed funds from buyer payments are kept in a non-interest bearing PayPal account. eBay's primary concern is to promote prompt, successful fulfillment and make funds from buyer payments available to sellers as quickly as possible.