Your First Listing
Everything you need to know to start making money now.
3 steps to selling on eBay
Step 1: Get startedStep 2: Create a listing that sellsStep 3: Complete the sale
- Click "Sell" at the top of any eBay page from your desktop device. If you’re using our mobile app, click the “Selling” tab and then click “List an item.”
- Let us know what you want to sell.
- For some items, after you enter the initial item description, you’ll see listing templates for similar items. Select the listing that best matches your item. If you don’t see a similar item, click “Create a new listing” at the top right.
- Select the "Condition" of your item.
- In your title, use descriptive keywords like brand, size, style, and color.
- Take and upload photos that show your item from a variety of angles. Here are some great tips for taking photos that sell.
- If you are using the eBay app, you can also add photos from your photo library on your phone or use your phone camera to take photos.
- Add a detailed description and include any unique features or flaws.
- Choose an Auction and/or Buy It Now listing format.
- What's an Auction listing? When you list an item using the Auction format, you choose a starting price and interested buyers place bids. When the auction ends, the highest bidder buys the item at that price.
- What's a Buy it Now listing? With the fixed price Buy It Now listing format, buyers know the exact price they need to pay for your item and can purchase it immediately. There is no bidding on fixed price listings.
- Can I list my item both ways? Yes. When you add a Buy It Now option to an Auction listing, buyers can either purchase your item immediately at the Buy It Now price or place a bid. In most categories, the Buy It Now price must be at least 30% higher than the auction starting price.
- To attract more buyers to your listing, follow these tips:
- Price it right. Not sure how to price it? Follow our pricing guidance. We'll provide pricing guidance based on similar items sold during the previous 90 days—and even show you the likelihood of a sale for some listings.
- Allow offers. Buyers can make offers on your item and you can choose to accept or decline them, or make a counteroffer.
- Duration. Buy it Now listings have Good ‘Til Canceled duration by default. Keep this setting so that your item remains listed until sold or canceled.
- Review your listing.
- Click "List it."
- If you selected "Allow offers" when you listed your item, be sure to respond to prospective buyers with an acceptance or counteroffer, or to decline an offer.
- As soon as your item sells, we'll send you an email confirming the sale.
- After you receive a confirmation that the buyer has paid for the item, go to My eBay to easily print a shipping label then ship the item to the buyer.
Take your listings from good to great
Price it right
Set the right price for your item, using our tips and tools.