Know more to sell more
Turn insights into action
Advice and Insights
Optimize Your Business for Mobile
Shoppers love buying on their smartphones.
In fact, 2013 saw more online shoppers engaging with retail sites on their smartphones than on their desktops.*
So if you want to reach more potential customers, optimize your business for the mobile platform.
Get Your Sales off to a Great Start
eBay shoppers use the mobile app
eBay had the highest proportion of app usage vs. browser usage of the online retailers included in ComScore's State of the U.S. Online Retail economy in Q4, 2013.
Use Buy It Now and promote New in your listing
More buyers are looking for new items. Call attention to your new items by including New in your listings.
Delight Your Buyers
See what these buyers have to say about shopping on eBay.
As an avid vintage clothing shopper, Janet shares how listings can create an emotional connection to the items she's looking for.
Ben, a 7th-grade science teacher, describes how he makes a purchase decision when he buys equipment for his class.
A lover of fine jewelry, Susan explains why putting yourself in your buyer's shoes is important when you list an item.
Tina describes the importance of communication and transparency in her purchase decisions when she shops for collectibles.
Maximize Your Visibility
- Maximize your position in Best Match
Follow basic listing best practices and use the tips below.
Optimize your listings for sales. Use the free Listing Analytics tool to fine-tune your fixed price listings.
Offer great customer service and qualify for Top Rated Plus. Consider offering free shipping, returns within 30 days with a money back option, same business day or one business day handling, and an expedited shipping option.
- Increase the visibility of your listings with promoted listings
Promoted listings can help boost your inventory's visibility by up to 30%† with premium placements on many of eBay's most-viewed pages, including prominent positions in View Item pages and eBay search results. Learn more
- Write detailed item descriptions
Improve your seller rating by accurately describing the condition of your items.
- Categorize your item. Always list your item in the relevant category or categories. In most cases, there is only one appropriate category.
- Craft an effective title. Include important keywords like the brand name, size, or other descriptors that a buyer might look for.
- Use subtitles. They can provide buyers with more detail and item specifics.
- Write accurate descriptions. Include the brand, style, and model number. And describe any flaws.
- Optimize listings for search
Attract a world of online shoppers through their favorite search engines using search engine optimization (SEO) techniques.
- Use relevant keywords. Begin your listing titles and item descriptions with words buyers are most likely to use. Include relevant brand names in your Store description and when naming custom categories. Create full sentences when you can and be specific.
- Include unique identifiers. Include Universal Product Codes (UPCs), European Article Numbers (EANs), or International Standard Book Numbers (ISBNs), and the item's brand name and Manufacturer's Part Number (MPN).
- Price your items right
To set an optimal price:
- Determine your item's value. Use Advanced Search, and select 'Sold Listings.'
- Price competitively. Buyers often search for items that have a low combined price and shipping charge.
- Make it easy to find. Best Match is determined by combining the listing price and the shipping fee.
- Set a reserve price (auction-style listings only). Price your items low to increase search visibility and set a reserve, so you get fair value for the item you're selling.
- Optimize for mobile
With more buyers shopping directly from their smartphones and tablets every year, the eBay mobile app is a great way to market your items to your on-the-go customers. As your connection to millions of buyers, the app lets you list in a matter of minutes. Listing is simple, straightforward, and convenient.
Boost Your Sales
- Consider an eBay Store or upgrade your existing Store
Get more free listings, lower final value fees, coupons for eBay branded shipping supplies, and powerful marketing tools with an eBay Stores subscription. Anchor Store subscribers may be eligible to receive credits for promoted listings and dedicated customer support. With no risk to list, subscription-based pricing lets you choose the pricing structure that works best for the way you sell.
- Create a markdown sale event with Promotions Manager
Promotions Manager lets you create markdown sales events that are seasonal, for specific holidays, for specific categories, or just to clear out inventory. It also lets you create and view scheduled, active, and inactive sales within your Store. You can even schedule sales for a later date, or reschedule them after they end.
- Easy international selling
The Global Shipping Program gives you a safe, no-hassle way to reach millions of buyers around the world without the worry of international shipping. When an item sells, you just ship it to the US shipping center and the program takes care of the rest. All customs forms and import charges are handled for you, and the item is sent quickly, complete with international tracking.
Track Your Success
- Check your seller dashboard frequently
Your seller dashboard in My eBay helps you maintain excellent customer service by monitoring your progress as a seller. At a glance, you can:
- See your current status and how you're trending.
- Get timely alerts when you need to take action.
- Get recommendations and personalized coaching to help you improve.
- See the eBay sales reports
- Get average selling prices with Terapeak
Turn knowledge into profit. Subscribe to Marketplace Research by Terapeak and:
- Determine the market value (average selling price) of products you plan to sell
- Find the best performing keywords and categories for your titles and listings
- Track products to gauge seasonal demand
- Monitor your competition
- Determine the most effective formats and upgrades to help sell specific products.
- Find previous selling prices with eBay advanced search
See how your items have performed on eBay prior to your listings. Use Advanced Search http://www.ebay.com/sch/ebayadvsearch/ to help you get a complete picture of your market before you set pricing.
Make sure your listing is complete. Listings that are missing information (images, item specifics, or descriptions), feature blurry photos, or have titles or descriptions filled with irrelevant words are at a disadvantage compared to other listings.
Optimize your listings for clicks and sales. The popularity of your items with buyers is an important factor in ranking. Use the free Listing Analytics tool to fine-tune your fixed price listings.
Offer great customer service and qualify for Top Rated Plus. Consider offering free shipping, returns within 14 days with a money back option, same business day or one business day handling, and an expedited shipping option. Offer as many of these services as you can to make your items stand out.
Keep Sold-out Listings Active
Introducing out-of-stock option
Free for all your Good 'Til Cancelled listings, this new feature on My eBay is designed to safeguard your hard-earned seller status. When you apply the out-of-stock option, buyers will only see in-stock listings, helping you avoid having to cancel a transaction.
Turn browsers into buyers and enjoy free listings and lower final value fees.* Your new eBay Store is equipped with powerful marketing tools to drive sales.
Build more sales from international customers. Once you've signed on to the Global Shipping Program, your eligible listings are automatically available to millions of buyers.
*comScore, February 2014
** eBay Internal Research, 2013
***Pay no insertion fees for your allotted free listings per calendar month. Optional fees, including advanced listing upgrades and supplemental service fees, still apply. Motors vehicles, real estate, heavy equipment, concession trailers and carts, imaging and aesthetics equipment, and commercial printing presses are excluded. Terms subject to change.
†Based on data from May through June, 2016. Measured on 40,000 listings that had sales before they were promoted and had promoted listing sales after they were promoted.