Frequently Asked Questions
Following on eBay: Creating Your Profile
- Do I have an eBay profile?
Yes, every eBay member has an eBay profile. You can access your profile either by going to ebay.com/usr/eBayUSERID, or by first clicking on your user name that appears in the top left-hand corner of your home page, then clicking on your user ID that appears in the first section of the drop down menu.
Note that until you edit your profile, it will display the default profile image and cover photo.
- How do I customize and edit my eBay profile?
We encourage you to customize your profile by adding your profile image, cover image and a short description of who you are and what interests you. Please remember that your profile is visible to all eBay members who visit your profile, so be smart about the information you include as it will be publicly available.
Here's how to customize your profile:
Access your profile by going to ebay.com/usr/eBayUSERID.
To upload a photo or add information about yourself and what you're passionate about, click the pen icon in the appropriate area, as shown below:
To upload a cover image, click 'Add cover'.
Note: You can reposition your photo within the space provided
Once you are happy with how your profile looks, click the 'Done editing' button.
- Can I customize my new profile with HTML?
No, the new profiles do not allow for HTML customization.
- Can I upload any kind of imagery I want to my profile?
Yes, as long as the imagery complies with eBay's policy on images and text. We encourage you to personalize your profile with images that express who you are or your unique brand. Don't forget that the photos and information you include in your profile will be visible by all other eBay members who visit your profile.
- What size does my profile and cover image have to be?
Your profile image dimensions should be 150 pixels wide x 150 pixels tall and your cover image should be 1200 pixels wide x 270 pixels tall. Each picture file can be as large as 5MB. Note that you can upload an image with larger dimensions and it will be cropped automatically. You can move the image within the space provided to your liking.
- Does this new profile replace my My World profile?
Yes, this new profile has replaced your MyWorld profile. All the important information from your MyWorld page has been moved over to the new profile page. The new profile doesn't include some MyWorld features such as Business Info, Guestbook, and most of Bio, but you can easily enter this information in the 'What the world should know about me' section of your new profile.
- Does this new profile replace my About Me page?
Yes, this new profile will replace your About Me page. All About Me links will be directed to your profile page.
- Can I customize my MyWorld page. What happens if I don’t customize my profile?
As part of the rollout of the new profile pages, we have made every effort to move information over from your MyWorld profile to your new profile (with a few exceptions). There is no action required on your part—as this information was moved over to your profile page automatically—but we do recommend you take a look at your new profile to make sure no updates are needed.
- Why wasn’t all my MyWorld information moved to my new profile?
The new profile is based on our research about what's most important to buyers.
- Where did the MyWorld guestbook feature go?
Our research showed that the guestbook feature was not often used by shoppers so it was replaced with other features of value to both buyers and sellers.
- Where does a member’s location appear on the new profile page?
A member's location now appears under the User Feedback information.
- I am concerned about my privacy. What if I don’t want buyers to know my location?
Only your country will be displayed on your profile page. Note that item locations still appear on your listings pages.
- What should I do if I don’t want some of the things I follow to appear in my profile?
- What if I don’t want a certain user to follow me? Can I block them from following me or how do I hide this from showing on my profile?
Any eBay member that is following you will show on your profile. You are not able to block members from following you or make this private. Learn more about customizing your privacy settings.
Order Discount and General
- What kind of listings would qualify to be part of an offer?
The minimum requirements for qualification in a special offer are:
- Items must have PayPal as one of the valid payment options.
- Items must have a Buy It Now option. No Auction types are supported. Best Offer type with a Buy It Now component is supported, but discounts will only be applied if a purchase is made through Buy It Now. Once the buyer has made a "best offer bid" and that bid is accepted, the item is no longer eligible for order discount offers.
- When entering or selecting SKUs for SKU based offers, multi-variation (color, size, style, etc.) items/listings must include the parent SKU ID to be eligible for the offer. Child variation IDs do not need to be added and will automatically be fetched per the parent SKU ID. If only the child SKU ID is included in the offer, this item will be ignored.
- Items with a Minimum Advertised Price, or MAP, treatment (item price is not displayed because it is below the Minimum Advertised Price) are not supported.
- What are SKUs? Where do I set SKUs?
"SKU" stands for "stock-keeping unit", which is a general term for a catalog number for a specific item. SKU is also called "Custom Label" in eBay's selling tools, such as Selling Manager, Selling Manager Pro, the bulk edit and revise tool in My eBay, File Exchange and API.
A SKU number can refer to a number generated by the manufacturer, or it can be a number that a seller creates for each item to manage their inventory.
The SKU number for an item is provided by the seller when an item is listed or after it has been listed. Using SKUs or custom labels make it easier for you to re-list products with the same SKUs or custom labels, without having to also configure cross-sales for them each time.
You can add or edit SKU numbers in the "Custom Label" field of your listings using Selling Manager, Selling Manager Pro, the bulk edit and revise tool in My eBay, File Exchange and API. Learn more about these eBay selling tools.
- Will creating and managing promotions on eBay improve my position in Best Match on the search results page?
There's no "silver bullet" for getting a good position in search. Creating and promoting promotions on eBay will not directly give you an advantage in your listings' search results rank; however, sales of all items with a special offer will count as a sale for each item's listing. As a result, the listing will automatically move up in rank in Best Match over time as sale is taken into account in the Best Match algorithm. More importantly, by creating offers you are funneling buyers from search to shop your items alone.
- Will my order discount offer show up on other international eBay sites if my items offer worldwide shipping?
The eBay tool for creating and managing promotions does not currently support global offers. If you have listings on eBay.com that offer worldwide shipping and also configured offers through the promotions tool on the US site, buyers will only see your offer if they browse eBay.com.
- In what order will items for my offer be displayed on the item pages?
In order to enhance the relevance of cross-sold items that are displayed on the Item page, the eBay promotions tool will use an algorithm based on item price, shipping price, and quantity sold to determine the order in which your configured items are displayed. If your items are new and do not have sales history on eBay, the promotions tool will use the order in which you provided the SKUs to determine the display position.
- Is there a way I can configure the event to surface inventory in the order I prefer?
Sorry, there is currently no way to change the order, the order is determined based on sales over impressions, so the best performers get the prime placements. Large inventory sets: If offer is a whole store offer or maps to multiple categories, Promotions Manager fetches the other items in the offer for the same category and then displays the item based on popularity (impressions / sales).
Small inventory sets: If the # of eligible items is less than 500, Promotions Manager grabs all of the eligible items and displays based on popularity, i.e. (sales / impressions).
We recommend sellers to break out sale events into logical inventory groups that people would tend to shop as a whole. The promotions team is working on improving this functionality.
- Can I change the order of priority if an item falls under two promotions?
- Can I add a SKU to my offer that I have not yet listed on eBay?
You can add a SKU to your offer even if you have not yet listed any item on eBay with that particular SKU. However, this SKU will essentially be ignored until an item with this SKU can be found for display with the offer.
- What is the limit of SKUs that can be listed in an offer? Is this limit going to change?
You can list up to 500 SKUs with each Order Offer. The limitation is in scope for the future roadmap.
- I have more than 500 SKUs that I need to put on a promotion. How can this be done?
If you have more than 500 SKUs for the promotion the best practice is to select items by store category. You can also create a second store category for items to be placed in a promotion. If you cannot create new store categories, you will need to separate the items into different order size promotions.
- How are the discounts distributed?
The total discount from your special offer will be applied to the buyer's order subtotal. The order discount is then itemized across all items (primary and related) applicable to the offer on a cost weighted basis. This is an industry standard that's designed to protect sellers from buyers getting an item for a steep discount when returning the more expensive item. To prevent buyers from getting any discount when returning part of the order and no longer satisfy the discount conditions, you can change your return policy to not accept partial returns.
- How long does it take for my edits to take effect on a live offer?
Any changes you make to your offer will usually take effect immediately, but may take up to 15 minutes.
- How long does it take for edits to my listings to be reflected on my live offer?
Most edits to your listings will appear immediately on your live offers. In the case where you change a listing to offer free shipping in order to qualify for an Accessory Discount offer, it may take up to 4 hours before the listing will appear with your live offer.
- Can I change the items that qualify for an offer once it has been active?
You can edit inventory rules and the list of SKUs selected for your offer at any time. Remember, you must have at least one SKU listed within your offer for it to be active.
- Can I schedule my offer in advance?
Yes, Promotions Manager allows you to set offers to activate at a future date/time and specify the date/time when the offer should automatically deactivate. Once an offer is live you can also edit it, put it on hold, or end it prior to the specified end date.
- Can I schedule when to place my offer on hold or when to reactivate my offer?
The eBay tool for creating and managing promotions does not currently support the ability to schedule offers to be held or reactivated at a specific time. When you choose to place an offer on hold or resume an offer, it will take effect within 15 minutes.
- How do I exclude SKUs from a promotion?
You can exclude up to 100 SKUs from a promotion on an item by item basis or by exclusion rule using eBay or seller store category. This can be done as part of Step 2 of offer creation, “Choose qualifying items for your offer.” You would select “Create exclusion rule.”
- How can I create a codeless coupon offer?
Codeless coupon offers give you the ability to offer exclusive coupons to buyers of your choosing. Once the promotion is created, a link is generated for you to share with your customers. The coupon is hidden from general search, and only buyers who have access to the link will be able to take advantage of the promotion. The coupons are a great option for customer service issues, as well as Facebook, Twitter type promotions.
- Can I limit the quantity purchased by buyers?
No, not at this time. Buyers will be able to add multiple items, and or quantity with this offer if they wish. If you want to limit the amount of purchases made, it’s better to shorten the time period of the offer.
- Is there a way to target certain user ID’s? I’m worried my link will go viral.
No, not at this time. We cannot guarantee that your coupon will stay private. If a buyer shares the link, it’s possible for the link to go viral. If this is of concern, be sure to shorten the time period for the offer.
- I created my offer, but how do I know that I created it correctly?
The easiest way to make sure the promotion is set up the way you envisioned, you can preview the offer. To preview the offer click on the “more” tab under the promotion. You can preview the link for any scheduled promotions, or to review any possible issues. If the promotion is live, you can also view the targeted URL link. This link will allow you look at the offer as a buyer would.
- I created a coupon but my buyers cannot see it. What’s wrong?
The codeless coupon option is only available to customers who have the link. This means buyers who have found your item via search will not see the discount. If your buyers are still not able to see the coupon via the link you sent, please review the items in the promotion.
- Help! When I look at the listing without clicking on the link I can see the promotion. Does this mean that all my buyers can see the promotion?
No, the promotion is saved through cookies. If you close the browser and then re-open it you will still see the promotion. If you want to check your listings try reviewing the item in a different browser. This means try it in Internet Explorer and try to view it in Google Chrome.
- Will the promotion end when my quantity runs out? What happens when I add more quantity?
The promotion will remain active on your promotion dashboard, however if the item does not have quantity we will not show the item in the promotion. Once the item has active quantity it will show in the promotion again.
- Can I set up a promotion if I have a scheduled listing?
Yes, the promotion will show on the listing once the item is “searchable” on the site. To check if your item is searchable on the site, put the title in the search bar. If your item does not come up in the search results it means the item is still indexing on the site. Indexing is usually quick, but in some categories can take up to 6 hours to show up in search.
- I have the option to do minimum quantity or minimum order. What’s the difference?
- If the goal is to mark down each item by a certain percentage or dollar amount it’s best to select minimum quantity, purchase 1. This will mark down each item. Example: Buy 1 save 20%
- If the goal is to get the buyer to spend more than the average selling price, it’s better to select the minimum order. Example: Spend $100 and save $20.
- If you want to encourage buyers to add more quantities of the item, it’s ideal to set minimum quantity. Example: Buy 2 items, and save 20%.
- Can I offer a shipping discount and a different offer?
Shipping discount offers may be applied on top of all other discount offers. The shipping discount threshold is evaluated after all other discounts have been applied.
- Can I run more than one offer at a time?
Yes. Multiple offers may apply to a given item or sets of inventory however, the buyer will only see one offer message displayed at a time. If the same item is in more than 1 promotional offer at one time, you can prioritize which promotion the customer sees. If you do not specify prioritization, preference our promotions display logic will automatically prioritize offers.
- Can I use Shipping Discounts in Promotions Manager if I already have a promotional shipping rule through My eBay: Combined Payments and Shipping Discounts?
Yes. Existing promotional shipping rules through site preferences remain in place and active. In the event that both types of shipping discounts apply to a given item, the buyer will automatically receive the greatest discount in cart and checkout. We will only apply one offer per group of eligible items.
- Can I offer expedited shipping discounts even if my listings do not have expedited shipping as an available option?
Yes. Promotions Manager Shipping Discounts overwrite the listing level shipping options during the promotional period. Once the offer ends or is deactivated, the listing level shipping options will be displayed to buyers. The shipping service selected as part of the offer will be passed back to you in the fulfillment section of the transaction details.
- What minimum order size or minimum order value should I set for my shipping discount?
Set thresholds that are slightly above your average order size or average order value on eBay to encourage buyers to buy more items or spend more per transaction than they otherwise would.
- If I offer a shipping discount offer with a spend threshold on a transaction that also qualifies for an order size discount, how will the spend threshold be evaluated?
Shipping promotion spend threshold rules are always evaluated against the order subtotal of eligible items after all item discounts have been applied.
- Can I offer expedited shipping services as part of my shipping discount offer even if I do not offer it at the listing level?
Yes. The shipping services you select will overwrite the shipping services you offer at the listing level. However, we do not recommend offering expedited options unless you can support handling times of 1 day or less.
- Can I offer a shipping discount and a different offer?
Shipping discount offers may be applied on top of all other discount offers. The shipping discount threshold is evaluated after all other discounts have been applied.
- When I select the % off form the drop-down, does this filter items based on which items are discounted by that amount?
No. This selection does not affect the items included in the offer; it only determines how the offer is worded for the buyer. Items will be included in the sale event regardless of the size of the discount. The criteria for inclusion in a sale event are:
- Items must have strike-through pricing (STP), or percentage or dollar discounts
- Items must meet the inclusion/exclusion rules selected or be included in the selected SKUs or Item IDs
- When I select the % off form the drop-down, does this apply at an additional discount to the items I select for the event?
No. Sale events are merchandising opportunities for already discounted items. A sale event created through Promotions Manager does not apply an additional discount. If you want to apply a % discount to a set of items, you can create an order discount with a minimum quantity threshold of 1 item.
- Why do my funds show as pending?
The most common reasons your funds would show as pending are you have a limited selling history or you aren't meeting eBay's minimum performance standards.
- How can I pay for shipping if the money from my buyer isn't available right away?
If you print labels on eBay for USPS shipping (domestic or First Class international), up to $15 of your buyer's funds will be available immediately to cover shipping costs for any order less than $50. For any order with a total cost that exceeds $50, up to 30% of the funds from you buyer will be available immediately to cover shipping costs. If you use PayPal for USPS, UPS or Canada Post, you'll need to pay for shipping when you print the label but the reimbursement will be deposited back to your PayPal account within 24 hours.
- What can I do to get my funds faster?
The most important thing you can do to help get your funds faster is ship the same day your buyer pays and follow good shipping practices. Based on your shipping method and the shipping information you provide, here's when your funds should be available:
- 3 days after we can confirm the order was delivered, if you pay for shipping and print labels on eBay or if you ship directly using USPS, UPS or FedEx and manually enter your tracking information to My eBay.
- 7 days after your latest estimated delivery date if you don't upload tracking information but you mark the item as shipped in My eBay.
- How is the estimated delivery date calculated?
Your estimated delivery date is determined using a combination of your handling time plus the shipping carrier's published estimated delivery time for the service selected by your buyer.
- What's the longest period of time funds may show as pending and be unavailable?
If you don't provide tracking information, mark the item as shipped, or the estimated delivery date cannot be calculated, your funds could be unavailable for up to 21 days.
- How can I find out the status of my payments to manage my cash flow?
If you have payments shown as pending in your PayPal account, you'll see the status of these payments in My eBay or Seller Hub, including the estimated date funds will be available and steps you can take to help get your funds faster. You can also log in to your PayPal account for up-to-date information on the status of your payments.
- What is considered a limited selling history?
Sellers are considered to have a limited selling history until three conditions are met:
- It's been more than 90 days since your first successful sale
- You have more than 25 sales transactions and
- You have more than $250 in total sales.
- Where can I see my selling history?
Login to my eBay and check your Seller Dashboard to see your total number of selling transactions, total sales volume, and time since you registered as a seller.
- How will I know if I'm not meeting eBay's minimum performance standards?
Sellers can see their current performance rating in their Seller Dashboard. If your rating is “Below Standard,” that means you are not meeting the minimum.
- How will I know if I'm affected?
If your transaction is affected by this because you have a limited selling history, or you have fallen below eBay's minimum selling standard, you'll be notified that you are affected when you create the listing. You'll also see new information in My eBay, including the estimated date funds will be available. Additionally, you'll receive a notification from PayPal when a payment is received and the funds are in your Pending Balance in your PayPal account.
- Which of my listings are affected?
All of your active or “live” listings, including Good 'Til Cancelled listings are affected.
- My seller dashboard says my performance rating is “Above Standard” so why do my payments show as pending?
It is possible to have an Above Standard rating and still have your payments show as pending because you have a limited selling history—90 days or less from your first sale, 25 or fewer sales transactions, or $250 or less in total sales.
- If I don't have a limited selling history and my performance rating is Above Standard, could I still be subject to having my payments show unavailable for a period of time?
Yes, there may be other PayPal policies that impact the availability of funds if a higher than normal level of risk is associated with your account--for example a sudden spike in eBay Money Back Guarantee cases, PayPal disputes or claims, unusual selling activity, items with an exceptionally high selling price, or sales in a new category or a category such as tickets, travel, or gift certificates. Learn more.
- What if I improve my performance and my rating is no longer Below Standard?
eBay evaluates seller performance every 30 days. If your rating moves to Above Standard or Top Rated seller status, your seller performance rating will no longer be a reason why your funds are unavailable.
- What happens if an eBay Money Back Guarantee case or PayPal claim is opened during the time the payment is pending?
If an eBay Money Back Guarantee case, PayPal claim or PayPal dispute is opened, or a credit card chargeback is received or other reversal is initiated during the time the payment is pending, funds for that sale are unavailable until the seller resolves the issue or the case is found in the seller's favor. If the seller does not resolve the issue or is found responsible, eBay or PayPal will refund the buyer's payment.
- I sell internationally. Will these transactions still be subject to this change?
If you are a seller registered on eBay.com or eBay.ca (either the English or French language version) this change will apply to all of your listings on these three eBay sites whether your items ship domestically or internationally. To help get your funds quicker you can upload tracking information from USPS, UPS, or FedEx. In most cases, when we can confirm delivery, funds will be available in 3 days after delivery has been confirmed. If you use an alternate carrier or when carrier tracking is not available, you can still mark your item as shipped and your funds should be available 7 days after the latest estimated delivery date. If no estimated delivery date can be calculated, funds should be available 21 days after the buyer pays.
- What about transactions using payment methods besides PayPal?
Only PayPal transactions are subject to this action. Payments through other methods are covered by the terms and practices of each provider.
- What about items that don't require shipping such as services?
For affected sellers, funds from sales of services will be available in 21 days from when the buyer pays.
- What about listings that use eBay's Classified Ad format, including digital downloads?
Sales transacted through a classified advertisement on eBay.com or eBay Classifieds are not affected.
- I have more than one account. How will my payments be affected?
Funds will be available based on the status of the eBay account from which an item is sold. All new accounts, even those created by established sellers, are subject to this action.
- What about items with local pick-up?
If your buyer pre-pays for the item with PayPal and uses local pick-up for an item purchased on eBay.com or eBay.ca (either the English or French language version, but not using eBay's Classified Ad format), your funds will be available 21 days after the buyer pays.